Updated in a new 10th edition, this book is organized around a "balanced" approach and provides the principles and foundations of media literacy with coverage of contemporary media issues.
This book covers the on-going transformations in mass media and offers accessible insight into the important issues through lively examples, streamlined coverage, and a robust media tools.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
If you’re wondering why you should buy this new edition of The Media of Mass Communication, here are 5 good reasons!
This is the most exciting time in human history to be studying mass media. So much is in flux. Although self-proclaimed gurus are everywhere, nobody knows for certain how the commotion will really settle. This new edition of The Media of Mass Communication will help you see why the media are in such a tumultuous transition and provide you with tools for understanding the reshaping of entire the media industry. Reflecting the transformations in the mass media, this 10th edition is the most thorough overhaul in the book’s 20-year history. Consider these changes:
1. New Media Landscape. A new chapter explores the contemporary media landscape that is daily more dominated by digital delivery. What is shaping this new landscape? What will our media landscape look like tomorrow? Is there a place for traditional media industries? Traditional content? How will media people stay on top of their game? Is Glenn Beck the future? Or Arianna Huffington? Or, as Time magazine suggested in its annual Person of the Year cover article, is the future you? Think Facebook. Think Twitter.
2. Media Economics. A new chapter, “Media Economics,” underscores how mass media are driven by financial engines. The economic dynamics are complex and entire industries are rising and falling as you read this. How much longer will newspapers be with us? What are the implications? How will society be different without newspapers? How will the shifting industry affect citizen involvement in public policy? Can democracy survive in such a drastically different media environment?
3. Fading Industries. Until recently the primary print media—newspapers, magazines and books—each warranted a chapter. No more. Industries rooted in Gutenberg technology are becoming an ever-thinner sliver of the media landscape. Reflecting this reality, the 10th Edition has consolidated the major print media into a single chapter, “Ink On Paper,” the conceptually related industries of radio and sound recording into “Sound Media”, and the movie and television industries into “Visual Media.”
4. Media Infrastructure. Throughout this edition are updates on dramatic changes that are afoot in underlying structures of media industries. The recording industry, as an example, wobbled to the verge of extinction with the advent of digital downloads. Questions are being asked about the validity of copyright protections in the 21st century. Those protections, embedded in the U.S. Constitution, could force an entire reinvention of media structures and practices. Can Hollywood survive this new era of content downloading?
5. Updated MyCommunicationLab for Mass Communication. (www.mycommunicationlab.com) New features
in this interactive and instructive online solution help foster your understanding of media literacy and provide you with opportunities to learn more about careers in the media. The tenth edition is a tool to help you as a student become more intelligent and discerning as a media consumer. If you plan on a media career, the book is intended to orient you to the courses that will follow in your curriculum. This book, though, is only one of many tools for staying on top of the subject for many years to come.About the Author:
John Vivian’s academic home is Winona State University in Minnesota, where has taught a wide range of mass communication courses. He holds a Medill journalism degree from Northwestern University and earlier from Gonzaga University. He has done additional work at Marquette University and the University of Minnesota. As an undergrad Vivian worked for United Press International. Later he joined the Associated Press in four Western cities. His work has won numerous professional awards, including Minaret Awards as an Army Reservist. Vivian is a former national president of Text and Academic Authors. His The Media of Mass Communication has been the leading textbook in its field since the first edition. Judges for the TAA Texty Award gave the title the first perfect score in history. Vivian is at home in the scholarly and pedagogical journals of his field. With Alfred Lorenz, he co-authored News Reporting and Writing. Besides journalism, public relations and advertising, Vivian’s academic focus is media law and history. He invites feedback from students and adopters at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Paperback. Book Condition: New. Softcover Book, New Condition, Fast Shipping. Ready in Stock. 10th Edition. [Please Read Carefully Before Buying], This Is An International Edition. Printed In Black and White. 504 pages, Book Cover And ISBN No May Be Different From US Edition. Restricted Sales Disclaimer Wordings Not For Sales In USA And Canada May Be Printed On The Cover Of The Book. Standard Shipping 7-14 Business Days. Expedited Shiping 4-8 Business Days. ***WE DO NOT ENTERTAIN BULK ORDERS.*** The Books May Be Ship From Overseas For Inventory Purpose. Bookseller Inventory # 291280
Book Description Paperback. Book Condition: New. New, Softcover International Edition, Printed in Black and White, Only USPS Media mail Shipping ONLY, Different ISBN, Same Content As US edition, Book Cover may be Different, in English Language. Bookseller Inventory # 2588
Book Description Softcover/Paperback. Book Condition: NEW. BRAND NEW *** INTERNATIONAL EDITION **** BOOK ONLY. This book is color printed. High Quality same contents as US ed Except for ISBN & Cover different from the website. Book only DO NOT include supplementary materials. Book ship via EXPRESS SERVICE , normally takes 3-5 business days. CANNOT SHIP to PR, P.O. Box, APO, FPO addresses. It is absolutely legal to use IE book in the USA. Please contact us before you purchase if you have any question about international edition textbooks. I. Bookseller Inventory # I9780205693054
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. This is INTERNATIONAL EDITION, Brand New, 10 edition, , color Printing, Softcover International Edition., High-Quality paper, Printed in English. Ships from multiple locations to WORLDWIDE customer. We CANNOT ship to APO/FPO/PO BOX address.3-5 BUSINESS DAYS EXPRESS SHIPPING VIA UPS / FEDEX/ DHL FOR USA, CANADA, EUROPE,ASIA AND AUSTRALIA CUSTOMER. The international edition will has different ISBN and Cover design from US edition. Occasionally, international textbooks may come with different exercises at the end of chapters. Restricted sales disclaimer wordings //Not for Sales in USA and Canada// are printed on the cover of the book. It is legally to use the international edition in North America. Bookseller Inventory # 103313
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Brand New, 10 edition, , color Printing, Softcover International Edition., GET IT FAST within 2-5 business days by UPS/DHL worldwide express with Tracking Number. Book is printed in English. NO PO Box, APO, FPO address. This is international edition. The international edition will has different ISBN and Cover design from US edition. Occasionally, international textbooks may come with different exercises at the end of chapters. Restricted sales disclaimer wordings //Not for Sales in USA and Canada// are printed on the cover of the book. It is legally to use the international edition in North America. We may ship the books from Asian regions for inventory purpose. Bookseller Inventory # 3313
Book Description Pearson, 2010. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P110205693059
Book Description Allyn & Bacon, Incorporated. Soft cover. Book Condition: New. New, International Edition, 10 th Edition . Premium quality books. Ship via FedEx, UPS, DHL. Delivery time is 3-5 biz days. Bookseller Inventory # 0205693059
Book Description Pearson. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 0205693059 New US Edition Textbook, Ships with Emailed Tracking from USA. Bookseller Inventory # Z0205693059ZN