What you need to know - now!
Designed for beginning language students (no prior knowledge of Spanish is assumed), for whom success in the field is vitally important, Spanish for Health Care prepares you to use “real-life language” on the job—immediately. A focus on practical language learned in context makes Spanish accessible for the health professional.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Patricia Rush has over 30 years of teaching experience in Spanish, the last 15 at Ventura College where she is a Spanish instructor and former Department Chair. Her BA and MA degrees in Spanish are from California State University, Los Angeles. She has traveled extensively throughout the Spanish-speaking world, focusing on Spain, Mexico, Costa Rica and Cuba, and has directed International Studies programs. She was a coauthor on Mosaicos, 2E, Trato hecho, 2E, Spanish for Health Care and Spanish for Business. She was awarded a LLAMA grant (Language Learning and Multimedia Applications) from IBM for the use of technology in language instruction. In 2000 she was selected "Teacher of the Year" by the EOPS program. She directed the Migrant Education Program in the Alhambra School District as well as the Gifted and Talented Education Program, and has served as Dean of Students and Vice Principal in charge of Curriculum. Her administrative internship was in Vocational Education, where she developed course outlines for Spanish for Medical Personnel, Law Enforcement, Social Services, and the Workplace; she possesses a TESOL certificate for instruction in English as a Second Language. Her various presentations on language methodology at ACTFL and CLTA (California Language Teachers' Association) have been well received. Patricia Houston has been a Dean, and Department Chair of Languages at Pima Community College in Tucson, Arizona. She holds a Bachelors degree from Syracuse University and a Masters from the Universidad de Las Americas in Mexico. In addition to Spanish language instruction in academic and business settings, she has been a corporate trainer for private industry and the government.Long interested in applied language studies, she was a founder of the Pima College Translation Studies Program and coauthored several language textbooks, including the Spanish At Work series. During her career as an instructor, Patricia has won a variety of teaching awards on local and national levels.Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.:
Occupational or vocational Spanish—for general student access as a regularly scheduled class or contract training within organizations—is one of the fastest-growing areas of language instruction throughout the country. Spanish at Work is an innovative, focused, and streamlined series designed to allow instructors to create and deliver pragmatic, "real world" language and culture training programs so that students can master "need-to-know" language. Each book in the series is self-contained: Vocabulary, grammar examples, practice activities, and cultural topics all relate to the occupational theme of the volume.
Spanish for Health Care is the first of this series. Students, whether professionals already working in the field or career/goal-oriented students in an occupational training program, are presented key vocabulary in a comprehensible-input format, focusing on easily mastered core expressions. Art, realia, photographs, and brief dialogues, supported by brief grammar explanations, reinforce needed terms. In class, students will practice communicative survival using key vocabulary essential to each context to enable them to utilize their Spanish in the real world at work. Highlights of the Program
Spanish for Health Care has ten chapters plus a brief preliminary lesson and two review chapters. Each lesson has two modules, each with two vocabulary segments and two grammar segments using the context-appropriate vocabulary. The lessons end with the vocabulary list and synthesis activities combining listening, speaking, reading, and writing. All exercises move from mechanical to production-oriented, following the logical progression of language acquisition. The final section, Algo más, features a culturally informative reading and sends the student out to the real world to look for material tied to the theme of the chapter. Organization of the Text
* Vocabulary presentation: Each of the two modules presents key vocabulary by means of art, realia, photographs, and brief dialogues. The inclusion of two separate spreads in each module allows for manageable amounts of easily mastered, core expressions pertinent to each occupational area.
* Grammar approach: Grammar practice is embedded automatically in context, not called out as mastery exercises. In class, students will focus on communicative survival using basic vocabulary essential to the topic to enable them to utilize their Spanish in the real world of their job environment. Brief grammar explanations, two per module, are presented in "chunks:" Examples are thematically related to the topic of the unit.
* Vocabulary summary: Each module's vocabulary is listed by function—nouns, verbs, adjectives, and other expressions. The glossary at the end of the book lists the lesson in which the item was introduced, intended as a convenient reference, especially for preview/review.
* Síntesis: Skills and topics are interwoven at the end of each chapter into a series of skill-building and skill-chaining activities that bring together the chapter vocabulary, structures, and cultural content. In recognition of the increased interest in Applied Spanish courses across the country, each of the ten regular lessons concludes with a task-based module in which students use Spanish in a realistic, applied way. Modules focus on a variety of fields; students may seek information about future careers or may learn more about their current careers. Art, articles, and other documents emphasize the usefulness and vitality of Spanish in today's world.
* A escuchar develops students' ability to understand spoken Spanish in a variety of authentic contexts.
* A conversar includes open-ended speaking activities based on naturally occurring discourse situations. Students learn to express and discuss their own needs and interests.
* A leer teaches students how to become independent readers by introducing basic strategies for understanding the general meaning of a text as well as for extracting specific information from it.
* A escribir provides activities in which students learn to compose messages and memos, paragraphs, and publicity announcements.
* Algo más: This section focuses on contemporary cultural issues related to the chapter theme. The hentana cultural reading exposes the student to key information. A broad variety of contemporary topics is featured, appropriate to the lesson's context. A buscar, immediately following, then guides students to gather information to enhance their own connection to this topic.
* Audio CD with available tapescript, including listening segments, dialogues, and vocabulary lists
* Instructor's Resource Manual, including tests
* Interactive, text-specific Web site, including tests and links
For the student
Welcome! Spanish at Work has been designed for you to use in your daily work situation, improving your ability to interact with your clients. You'll find a user-friendly text, combining appropriate vocabulary and concise grammar explanations with realia from today's world to lead you into the real world of Spanish for Health Care. We want you to be able to react to your daily job environment, meeting your needs with hands-on language and giving you enough to survive in the health-care field without loading you down with translation exercises. Our real-life context is intended to transfer directly to your daily "need-to-know" activities. We encourage you to jump right in and join us.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Prentice Hall. Book Condition: New. Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 0205696511
Book Description Pearson. Book Condition: New. 0205696511 Orders ship same or next business day w/ free tracking. Choose Expedited shipping for fastest (2-6 business day) delivery. Satisfaction Guaranteed. Bookseller Inventory # Z0205696511ZN
Book Description Pearson Education (US), United States, 2010. Paperback. Book Condition: New. 2nd Revised edition. Language: English,Spanish . This book usually ship within 10-15 business days and we will endeavor to dispatch orders quicker than this where possible. Brand New Book. What you need to know - now! Designed for beginning language students (no prior knowledge of Spanish is assumed), for whom success in the field is vitally important, Spanish for Health Care prepares you to use real-life language on the job-immediately. A focus on practical language learned in context makes Spanish accessible for the health professional. Bookseller Inventory # BTE9780205696512
Book Description Pearson. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 0205696511 BRAND NEW W/FAST SHIPPING! This item is: Spanish for Health Care, 2nd Ed., 2011, by Rush, Patricia^Houston, Patricia; FORMAT: Paperback; ISBN: 9780205696512. Choose Expedited for fastest shipping! Our 98%+ rating proves our commitment! We cannot ship to PO Boxes/APO address. To avoid ordering the wrong item, please check your item's ISBN number!. Bookseller Inventory # P9780205696512
Book Description Prentice Hall, 2010. Paperback. Book Condition: New. 2. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0205696511
Book Description Pearson, 2010. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P110205696511
Book Description Pearson, 2010. Book Condition: New. Brand new! Please provide a physical shipping address. Bookseller Inventory # 9780205696512
Book Description Pearson. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 0205696511 New US Edition Textbook, Ships with Emailed Tracking from USA. Bookseller Inventory # Z0205696511ZN
Book Description Prentice Hall, 2010. Paperback. Book Condition: Brand New. 2nd edition. 384 pages. Spanish language. 9.90x7.90x0.60 inches. In Stock. Bookseller Inventory # 0205696511
Book Description Prentice Hall, 2010. Book Condition: new. Shiny and new! Expect delivery in 20 days. Bookseller Inventory # 9780205696512-1