A clear and accessible introduction to the political creeds and doctrines that have dominated and shaped world politics. The fifth edition has been thoroughly updated throughout and now has more on the influence of globalization on ideology and a new-look page design to aid student learning.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
The fifth edition of this leading text on political ideologies provides a clear and accessible introduction to the political creeds and doctrines that have dominated and shaped world politics.
Ranging from traditional nineteenth-century ideologues such as liberalism, conservatism and socialism, to so-called 'new' ideologies such as feminism, ecologism and political Islam, the author offers a clear exposition both of the historical development of each ideology and the impact each has had on contemporary political movements, parties and governments. Their distinctive ideas and values are highlighted, together with the competing, and sometimes conflicting, traditions which they have generated.
This new edition has been thoroughly revised and updated throughout, with extended coverage given to key current issues such as multiculturalism and neo-conservatism. Andrew Heywood's uniquely student-friendly writing style is now supported by a range of learning features in each chapter.
· Ideology Previews outline the nature of the ideologies and their central themes
· On-page definitions give quick-reference explanations of key terms
· Illustrated 'Key Figure' Profiles provide detail on important thinkers and their major ideas
· 'Key Concept' boxes explore and unpack important ideas
· Boxes on 'Perspectives' and 'Tensions' outline the differences within and between ideological traditions
· Questions help to apply and reinforce understanding
ANDREW HEYWOOD is the author of such bestselling texts as Politics, Political Theory and Global Politics.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Palgrave Macmillan, 2012. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P110230367240
Book Description Palgrave Macmillan. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 0230367240 New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW7.0056132