This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
After the workday, in places like Seville, Milan, Barcelona, and other cities that dot the Mediterranean, people gravitate to wine bars to relax, meet friends, savor small dishes of flavorful food, and, of course, enjoy the local wines that perfectly complement the moment.
In Wine Bar Food, acclaimed restaurateurs Cathy and Tony Mantuano show you how to re-create this irresistibly appealing part of the Mediterranean lifestyle at home. Organized by city, from Lisbon to Rome, and paired with accessible wines from each region, the delightfully unpretentious, simply prepared dishes can be shared as small plates by many or make a sit-down dinner for two or more. The 100 recipes emphasize flavor and ease of preparation over strict authenticity, so you’ll be able to round up the ingredients effortlessly to create delicious meals any night of the week, including:
Flaming Ouzo Shrimp (from Athens)
Pork Ribs with Garlic, Chilies, and Tomato (from Naples)
Pea, Bacon, and Pecorino Salad (from Nice)
Amaretto Polenta Pound Cake (from Venice)
Rich with great advice on affordable wine gems and recipes for some killer wine cocktails, Wine Bar Food has everything you need to make weeknight dinners and gatherings with friends simple, fun, and flavorful affairs.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
CATHY MANTUANO is an expert on pairing food and wine. TONY MANTUANO is chef-partner at the celebrated Spiaggia in Chicago. The husband-and-wife team is opening Enoteca Spiaggia, a wine bar in Miami’s South Beach, in 2008. This is their second cookbook.Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.:
Flaming Ouzo Shrimp
Serves 6 as an appetizer or 4 as a main course
This recipe is in the tradition of the flambéed Greek cheese dish known as saganaki. Ouzo is a Greek anise-flavored liqueur that matches well with shrimp.
Make sure that the ouzo goes on while the dish is very hot, or it will not light. And remember to stand back when flaming the shrimp. Serve with crusty bread to mop up the juices.
· 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
· 1 russet potato, very thinly sliced
· 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
· 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
· 1 1/4 pounds peeled and deveined extra-large shrimp (under 15 per pound)
· Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
· 6 ounces ouzo
· 1/2 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 500°F.
2. Heat a large skillet in the oven for 5 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the oven and add 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Carefully layer the potato slices in the pan, slightly overlapping them. Top with the slices of jalapeño, garlic, and finally the shrimp. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
4. Return the pan to the oven and bake until the shrimp are opaque throughout, 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and add the ouzo. Stand back and carefully hold a lit match to the juices to flame the dish. As the flame begins to die down, squeeze the lemon over the shrimp. Serve immediately.
Makes 1 cocktail
Amalfi in southern Italy is full of lemon trees that produce the biggest, most flavorful lemons in the world. So what do you do when life hands you these lemons? Make limoncello martinis, wonderfully refreshing in spring and summer, bracing in fall and winter.
· 1 lemon wedge
· Confectioners' sugar
· 1 1/2 ounces citrus-flavored vodka
· 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
· 1 ounce limoncello
· Twist of lemon peel
1. Rub the rim of a martini glass with the lemon wedge. Put some confectioners’ sugar on a small dish, tap the dish to level the sugar, and invert the glass into the sugar to coat the rim.
2. Shake the vodka, lemon juice, and limoncello with ice in a cocktail shaker. Strain into the prepared glass and garnish with a lemon twist.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Clarkson Potter, 2008. Hardcover. Condition: New. 030735279X Ships promptly from Texas. Seller Inventory # Z030735279XZN
Book Description Clarkson Potter, 2008. Hardcover. Condition: New. 030735279X Ships from Tennessee, usually the same or next day. Seller Inventory # Z030735279XZN
Book Description Clarkson Potter, 2008. Hardcover. Condition: New. 030735279X . Seller Inventory # Z030735279XZN
Book Description Clarkson Potter. Condition: New. Seller Inventory # 9780307352798
Book Description Condition: New. Seller Inventory # 5457836-n
Book Description Clarkson Potter, 2008. Hardcover. Condition: Brand New. first edition (1st printing) edition. 208 pages. 9.50x7.75x0.75 inches. In Stock. Seller Inventory # zk030735279X
Book Description Penguin Random House. Condition: New. Brand New. Seller Inventory # 030735279X
Book Description Clarkson Potter, 2008. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M030735279X
Book Description Clarkson Potter. Hardcover. Condition: New. 030735279X *BRAND NEW* Ships Same Day or Next!. Seller Inventory # SWATI212A0190731
Book Description Clarkson Potter, 2008. Hardcover. Condition: New. Seller Inventory # DADAX030735279X