This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
The only dog-training book that really gets through to the canine brain beneath all that fur.
Incorporating the revolutionary teaching of John Ross's prominent dog-training school, this is the first and only dog-training book that truly takes owners inside the canine mind. Central to Ross's technique is the notion that a dog responds to its owner as the pack leader, and that this leader must take the dominant role in the relationship between human and dog. By encouraging owners to act in a canine manner, Ross emphasizes sure-fire techniques to help dogs through the behaviors they need to learn. Among the hundreds of useful training tips included in Dog Talk are:
* Always use your dog's name prior to the command: "Bentley, heel!"
* When training a puppy, try moving a desired object like a dog biscuit over and behind your dog's head to induce him to "sit."
* Do not use your dog's name-- which he associates with being called toward you-- when commanding him to "stay."
* Don't yell "Come!" in a threatening manner while chasing after a disobedient puppy or you may well have just trained him to run away on command.
* Giving a "No" command while your dog is thinking about a bad behavior is even more effective than giving it during the behavior.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
John Ross is a noted dog trainer. He and Barbara McKinney are regular contributors to Dog World magazine. They live in Nantucket, Massachusetts.
Trainer, radio host, and author Ross based his teaching methods on the theory that dogs learn through behavior. If it is agreeable to them as they are doing it, they will repeat it; if it is disagreeable, they will avoid it. In easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions Ross and coauthor McKinney show owners how to apply this theory when training. They also discuss canine breed characteristics, capabilities, and limitations. Dog Talk is for all dog owners who want happy, obedient, well-mannered pets without attending training classes or without the perfection required for show competition. Recommended for most libraries.
- Helen Sondrol, Lincoln Univ. Lib., Pa.
Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description St. Martin's Press. Hardcover. Condition: New. 0312117787 . Seller Inventory # Z0312117787ZN
Book Description St. Martin's Press. Condition: New. Hardcover. Worldwide shipping. FREE fast shipping inside USA (express 2-3 day delivery also available). Tracking service included. Ships from United States of America. Seller Inventory # 0312117787
Book Description St. Martin's Press, 1995. Hardcover. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P110312117787
Book Description St. Martin's Press, 1995. Hardcover. Condition: New. Seller Inventory # DADAX0312117787
Book Description St. Martin's Press, 1995. Condition: New. Jocelyn Sandor (illustrator). book. Seller Inventory # M0312117787