More than just a collection of factual entries, this rich resource explores the difference between scientific and pseudoscientific pursuits in a way that spurs readers to ask questions and formulate answers.
· 124 entries, from alchemy and alien abductions to yetis and zombies, that continually focus readers on the true nature of legitimate scientific methods and findings
· An introductory essay, drawing on the work of genuine historians and philosophers of science, offering guidelines for assessing topics in pseudoscience
· 40 original line drawings created specifically for this reference, depicting key individuals, creatures, artifacts, and more
· An extensive bibliography of current and classic works on the full range of pseudoscience topics covered in this volume
· An index that makes it easy to locate specific topics, terms, names, and ideas
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Turning metals into gold. Reading head bumps for personality clues. Finding water in the ground with a stick. At some point, all of these were considered legitimate scientific practices. But efforts to pass similar activities off as genuinely scientific are by no means confined to a less enlightened age. From homeopathy to UFO hunting to Creationism, the practice of stamping unscientific activities with the imprimatur of science is alive and well today.About the Author:
Brian Regal is assistant professor of the history of science at Kean University, Union, NJ.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Brand New Original US Edition, Perfect Condition. Printed in English. Excellent Quality, Service and customer satisfaction guaranteed!. Bookseller Inventory # AIND-13978
Book Description Book Condition: New. New. US edition. Perfect condition. Customer satisfaction our priority. Bookseller Inventory # ABE-FEB-31865
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. New. US edition. Customer Satisfaction guaranteed!!. Bookseller Inventory # SHUB31865
Book Description Book Condition: New. Brand New Original US Edition.We Ship to PO BOX Address also. EXPEDITED shipping option also available for faster delivery. Bookseller Inventory # AUSBNEW-13978
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. New, US edition. Excellent Customer Service. Bookseller Inventory # ABEUSA-31865
Book Description Greenwood. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 031335507X New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW7.1813093
Book Description Greenwood, 2009. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P11031335507X
Book Description Greenwood, 2016. Paperback. Book Condition: New. PRINT ON DEMAND Book; New; Publication Year 2016; Not Signed; Fast Shipping from the UK. No. book. Bookseller Inventory # ria9780313355073_lsuk
Book Description Greenwood Pub Group, 2009. Hardcover. Book Condition: Brand New. 191 pages. 10.50x7.25x0.75 inches. In Stock. Bookseller Inventory # zk031335507X