Religious Myths and Visions of America: How Minority Faiths Redefined America's World Role
1: America: Nation and Notion
2: Native American Myths and Visions of America
- CIVIL MYTHS OF AMERICA AND CIVIL RELIGION
- RELIGIOUS MYTHS AND VISIONS OF AMERICA
- RACIAL MYTHS AND VISIONS OF AMERICA
3. Protestant Myths and Visions of America
- TURTLE ISLAND MYTH AND MYTH OF MOTHER EARTH
- DEGANAWIDAH LEGEND
- IROQUOIS INFLUENCE THESIS: MYTH OR HISTORY?
4. Catholic Myths and Visions of America
- PURITAN MYTH OF AMERICA
- MANIFEST DESTINY MYTH
- CURSE OF HAM MYTH
- AFRICAN AMERICAN EXODUS COUNTER-MYTH
5. Jewish Myths and Visions of America
- PAPAL PRAISE OF AMERICA
- AMERICANIST MYTH OF AMERICA
- PAPAL RESPONSES TO AMERICANIST MYTH OF AMERICA
- CAN AMERICANIST MYTH OF AMERICA BECOME A REALITY?
6. Mormon Myths and Visions of America
- JEWISH VISIONS OF AMERICA AS A MIRROR OF JEWISH IDEOLOGIES
- JEWISH MYTH OF AMERICA AS PROMISED LAND
- JEWISH MYTH OF COLUMBUS
- JEWISH PRAYERS FOR AMERICA: COMMUNAL VISIONS OF AMERICA
- ORTHODOX JUDAISM'S TRADITIONAL PRAYER FOR GOVERNMENT
- CONSERVATIVE JUDAISM'S VISION OF AMERICA
- REFORM JUDAISM'S VISION OF AMERICA
- RECONSTRUCTIONIST JUDAISM'S VISION OF AMERICA
- JEWISH AMERICANISM: CULT OF SYNTHESIS
7. Christian Identity Myths and Visions of America
- GARDEN OF EDEN MYTH
- LOST TRIBES MYTH COLUMBUS MYTH
- CONSTITUTION MYTH
- FOUNDING FATHERS MYTH
- THEODEMOCRACY MYTH
- AMERICA AS ZION MYTH
- MARK OF CAIN MYTH
8. Black Muslim Myths and Visions of America
- TWO-SEED MYTH
- MUD RACES MYTH
- LOST TRIBES MYTH
- WHITE HOMELAND MYTH
- RACIAL HOLY WAR MYTH
9. Contemporary Muslim Myths and Visions of America
- YACUB MYTH
- MOTHER PLANE MYTH
- DESTRUCTION OF AMERICA MYTH
10. Buddhist Myths and Visions of America
- GREAT SATAN MYTH
- AXIS OF EVIL COUNTER-MYTH
- EFFORTS TO DISPEL GREAT SATAN MYTH AND TO MINIMIZE FALLOUT FROM AXIS OF EVIL MYTH
11. Baha'i Myths and Visions of America
- SOKA GAKKAI'S MYTH OF AMERICA'S SECOND RENAISSANCE
- ROBERT THURMAN'S MYTH OF AMERICA'S SECOND RENAISSANCE
- DALAI LAMA'S BUDDHIST DEMOCRACY MYTH AND VISION OF AMERICA'S WORLD ROLE
12. Conclusion: How Minority Faiths Redefined America's World Role
- BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO THE BAHA'I FAITH
- BAHA'I MYTHS AS A "SACRED HISTORY" OF AMERICA
- BAHA'I EMANCIPATION/CIVIL WAR MYTH
- BAHA'I WILSONIAN MYTH
- BAHA'I VISION OF DESTINY OF AMERICA
- RELIGIOUS MYTHS AND VISIONS OF AMERICA RECAPITULATED
- OVERVIEW OF AMERICA'S WORLD ROLE
- FINAL REFLECTIONS: A WORLD CIVIL RELIGION?
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Buck examines the religious significance of America by surveying those religions that have attached some kind of spiritual meaning to it.
From the Author
- This book is about an unusual religious topic: the United States of America ("America"), past and present. "America" is, at once, nation and notion, country and creed, republic and rhetoric, entity and ideology, sovereignty and salience. In other words, "America" is real and abstract. There are secular ideas about America, and then there are religious perspectives on America. Given America's preeminent position in the world today, the present volume treats the relationship of the supernatural world to the world's superpower. In fine, this book is about Providence and principle--as these relate to America.
- The proverbial idea of "God and country"--as applied to America--is presented in a wide array of religious texts that are the subject of this study. The idea of America, as a religious concept, is an intriguing social phenomenon--one that has received considerable scholarly attention in terms of American Protestantism, but yet remains to be fully explored with respect to America's other religions, which have been termed by James H. Moorhead as America's "minority faiths." The study of how minority faiths have redefined America's sense of national purpose is what Religious Myths and Visions of America is about.
- Perhaps the most salient theme among these minority myths of America is that of race. Indeed, the theme of race stands out as a defining feature of these visions and myths.
- Over the course of American history, religious myths and visions of America tend to reflect an ever-changing American civil society, whether as a function of its social evolution or as a catalyst of it. That is to say, in the survey of religions undertaken in this book, the following operative hypothesis may be tested: Religions remythologize America. And further: Religions re-envision America.
- The fact that America is presented in a somewhat novel way in this study is perhaps the main claim for the book's originality and contribution to American studies. Beyond presenting these religious views of America, an effort will be made to make sense of them. What significance, if any, do these religious ideas about America have for the twenty-first century? Patterns will be identified and compared. At a deeper level of analysis, meaningful connections will be made, and a web of significance will emerge.
- At the end of this book, the reader will see America in a new light.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.