Mosby's Textbook for Nursing Assistants
This textbook is known for its comprehensive coverage, readability, and visual presentation. This revision builds on these strengths, adding new content and features to better address learning needs and practice realities. Increased emphasis on delegation and safety help prepare students to function most effectively in today's practice settings.
- Comprehensive coverage of nursing assistant responsibilities in all settings
- Nearly 1,000 full-color photos and drawings provide clear, visual explanation of concepts and actions
- Learning Objectives for each chapter help students focus on information presented
- Key Terms with definitions help students understand chapter content
- Step-by-step procedures detail skills and are divided into pre-, procedure, and post-procedure sections for easier learning
- Icons in section headings alert student to associated procedure
- Focus On... boxes address the special needs of children, elders, long-term care residents, and home care patients
- Caring about Culture boxes provide information to help students learn about the practices of other cultures
- Chapter Review Questions help students evaluate learning
- Quality of Life sections in the procedures remind students to show respect for the person by performing simple courtesies such as knocking before entering the room, calling the person by name, and more
- UNIQUE! Mosby's Nursing Assistant CD-ROM, bound in the text, includes 25 procedures with corresponding video clips & exercises, an audio glossary, and Body Spectrum - an electronic anatomy coloring book.
- Delegation Guidelines detail the nurse assistant's responsibilities when accepting specific delegated tasks
- Safety Alerts provide cautions and proper techniques for protecting both staff and patients
- Appendix provides basic Spanish health care terminology to help students communicate effectively
- Incorporates the new 2002 CDC Hand Hygiene Guidelines so students learn when and how to use both traditional handwashing techniques and the new alcohol-based cleaning agents
- New chapter on Residents in Assisted Living Settings prepares students to practice in this growing care setting
- Separate chapter on Assisting with the Nursing Process helps students understand how their role fits in to the nursing team
- New procedures include Chair or Wheelchair to Bed Transfer, Transferring a Person to and from a Toilet, and Preparing the Person for Meals
- New chapter on Restraint Alternatives and Safe Restraint Use focuses on the proper techniques for applying restraints as well as strategies to protect patient safety without the use of restraints
- NNAAP highlighted skills alert students to skills that are part of the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP™) exam
- New content on meeting standards for licensure, certification, and accreditation alerts students to information they must know to practice
- Safety chapter has been updated and expanded to include content on bed rail entrapment, crib safety for children, household poisons, wheelchair and stretcher safety, and bomb threats.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Comprehensive coverage, easy readability, and a highly visual presentation
About the Author
Sheila A. Sorrentino, RN, MSN, PhD, Curriculum and Health Care Consultant, Normal, IL
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.