Foundations of Nursing, 5e
Part of the popular LPN Threads series, Foundations of Nursing provides coverage of all the fundamental content and skills students need to know, including entire units covering maternal and neonatal, pediatric, geriatric, mental health, and community content. Designed to be used in conjunction with Adult Health Nursing, by the same author team, together these two full-color texts provide complete coverage of all of the content needed in an LPN/LVN curriculum.
- Student-friendly, full-color design is packed with student learning features and NCLEX exam-style review questions at the end of each chapter.
- Over 100 skills presented in a step-by-step format with clearly defined nursing actions and rationales.
- Nursing Care Plans, presented in a case-study format, emphasize patient goals and outcomes.
- Nursing Diagnosis boxes, screened and highlighted in the text, include nursing diagnoses for specific disorders are paired with the appropriate nursing interventions.
- Patient Teaching boxes include post-hospital discharge guidelines and disease prevention instructions with a strong focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members.
- Cultural and Ethnic Considerations boxes include a variety of cultural scenarios that nurses may face when providing health care.
- Older Adult Considerations boxes provide age-specific information for the care of the aging population, which is often the primary focus of the LPN/LVN nurse.
- New Companion CD, bound in every text, includes an audio glossary, 410 NCLEX exam-style multiple-choice & alternative item review questions, critical thinking review, 15 animations, 15 video clips, Spanish-English phrases, and a mathematics review.
- Unique Health Promotion Considerations boxes, a LPN thread, highlights information on wellness and disease prevention, including infection control, diet, and pregnancy.
- Unique Delegation Considerations boxes provide parameters for delegation to nurse assistants, patient care technicians, and unlicensed assistive personnel.
- Safety Considerations boxes, a LPN thread, highlights the importance of maintaining safety to protect patients, families, health care providers, and the public from the accidental spread of diseases.
- New Surgical Wound Care chapter covers wound care and related skills, including a skill on Wound Vacuum Assisted Closure (V.A.C.).
- New content on HIPAA, initiating intravenous therapy, insertion of nasogastric tube, CDC hand hygiene guidelines, surgical hand scrub, computerized charting, medication administration, the latest blood pressure guidelines from the National Heart and Lung Institute, and the tuberculin syringe.
- Bioterrorism/terrorism content is expanded in the Safety chapter to include the nursing response to biological attacks, nuclear attacks and radiation syndrome, and chemical terrorism.
- Two new appendices include JCAHO Lists of Dangerous Abbreviations, Acronyms, and Symbols; and Laboratory Reference Values.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
About the Author
Barbara Lauritsen Christensen, MS, RN, Nurse Educator, Mid-Plains Community College, North Platte, NE; and Elaine Oden Kockrow, MS, RN, Formerly, Nurse Educator, Mid-Plains Community College, North Platte, NE
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.