Alexander's Care of the Patient in Surgery, 13e
For more than 60 years, ALEXANDER'S CARE OF THE PATIENT IN SURGERY has been an essential, reliable resource for perioperative nursing. The detailed, state-of-the-art information in this edition reflects current procedures and promotes the delivery of comprehensive patient care. This text provides nurses with the tools needed to deliver safe, cost-effective, high-quality patient care.
- More than 400 contemporary and traditional specialty surgical interventions, in addition to numerous minimally invasive surgical procedures, are explained.
- Approximately 1,000 full-color illustrations and photos build familiarity with surgical anatomy, procedures, methods and equipment.
- Places a strong emphasis on patient education and discharge planning, as well as patient safety.
- Best Practice boxes apply evidence-based practice to perioperative nursing.
- Sample Plans of Care link interventions to clearly identified outcomes.
- Research Highlight boxes translate research into practice for patient care.
- Addresses Emergency preparedness and bioterrorism considerations.
- Ambulatory, pediatric, geriatric, trauma surgeries, as well as complementary and alternative therapies, are given special attention.
- History boxes summarize significant historical events related to surgery and perioperative nursing.
- The latest invasive and non-invasive technological advances related to surgical procedures, including areas such as interventional radiology, are featured.
- Patient and Family Education boxes offer guidelines for pre- and post-procedural care, side effects and complications, discharge/follow-up care, home care, psychosocial care and referrals.
- Surgical Pharmacology tables summarize the drugs most commonly used for specific surgical procedures, including generic and trade names, purpose/description and pharmacokinetics.
- Patient Safety boxes highlight recent JCAHO initiatives designed to prioritize patient safety.
- Recent OSHA guidelines regarding workplace safety are emphasized.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
The standard in perioperative nursing care -- updated for the utmost in relevant, complete, contemporary instruction
About the Author
Margaret H. Meeker, RN, BSN, CNOR; Jane C. Rothrock, RN, DSNc, CNOR
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.