Foundations and Adult Health Nursing, 5e
Part of the popular LPN Threads series, Foundations and Adult Health Nursing is the full-color single-volume text that includes all of the content from Foundations of Nursing and Adult Health Nursing. It covers the entire LPN/LVN curriculum including fundamentals and skills, maternal and neonatal, pediatric, geriatric, mental health, community, anatomy & physiology, and medical-surgical content. It's everything students need to succeed both in the classroom and in practice.
- Student-friendly, full-color design is packed with student learning features, including NCLEX® exam-style review questions at the end of each chapter.
- Nursing Process is applied to the discussion of disorders and appears in a summary form at the end of each chapter.
- Over 110 skills are presented in a step-by-step format with clearly defined nursing actions and rationales.
- Nursing Care Plans, presented in a case-study format, emphasize patient goals and outcomes and include Critical Thinking Questions at the end of each care plan.
- Nursing Diagnosis boxes, screened and highlighted in the text, include nursing diagnoses for specific disorders paired with the appropriate nursing interventions.
- Objectives in the medical-surgical chapters are separated into Anatomy & Physiology and Medical-Surgical categories.
- Assessment is separated into Subjective and Objective Data.
- Clinical Pathways are included to reflect collaborative care.
- Overview of Anatomy and Physiology begins all body systems chapters and the Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology chapter provides a clear, basic understanding of the A&P that LPN/LVNs need to know.
- Unique Mathematics review chapter provides full coverage of basic arithmetic skills prior to discussion of medication administration.
- Patient Teaching boxes include post-hospital discharge guidelines and disease prevention instructions with a strong focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members.
- Cultural and Ethnic Considerations boxes include a variety of cultural scenarios that nurses may face when providing health care.
- Older Adult Considerations boxes provide age-specific information for the care of the aging population, which is often the primary focus of the LPN/LVN nurse.
- Home Health Considerations boxes discuss issues facing patients and their caregivers in the home setting.
- Unique Therapeutic Dialogue boxes illustrates communication strategies through real-life examples of nurse-patient dialogue.
- Unique Medication tables are meticulously detailed and provide quick access to action, dosage, precautions, and nursing considerations for commonly used drugs.
- Unique Complementary and Alternative Therapy boxes, in nearly every medical-surgical chapter, provide a breakdown of specific therapies, along with precautions and possible side effects.
- New Companion CD, bound in every text, includes an audio glossary, 580 NCLEX® exam-style multiple-choice & alternate item format review questions, fluids and electrolytes tutorial, Spanish-English phrases, Body Spectrum - an electronic anatomy coloring book, Critical Thinking review, 30 animations, 30 video clips, 15 audio clips, and a Mathematics Review.
- Unique Health Promotion Considerations boxes, a LPN thread, highlights information on wellness and disease prevention, including infection control, diet, and pregnancy.
- Unique Delegation Considerations boxes provide parameters for delegation to nurse assistants, patient care technicians, and unlicensed assistive personnel.
- Safety Considerations boxes, a LPN thread, highlights the importance of maintaining safety to protect patients, families, health care providers, and the public from the accidental spread of diseases.
- New Surgical Wound Care chapter covers wound care and related skills, including a skill on Wound Vacuum Assisted Closure (V.A.C.).
- New content on HIPAA, initiating intravenous therapy, insertion of nasogastric tube, CDC hand hygiene guidelines, surgical hand scrub, computerized charting, medication administration, the latest blood pressure guidelines from the National Heart and Lung Institute, and the tuberculin syringe, blood tests for congestive heart failure (BNP), treatment modalities in Chapter 56, Care of the Patient with HIV/AIDS, new diabetes medications, revised hepatitis classifications, sacroneuro stimulators for urinary incontinence, and more.
- Bioterrorism/terrorism content is expanded in the Safety chapter to include the nursing response to biological attacks, nuclear attacks and radiation syndrome, and chemical terrorism.
- Two new appendices include JCAHO Lists of Dangerous Abbreviations, Acronyms, and Symbols; and Laboratory Reference Values.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Provides complete coverage of the entire LPN/LVN curriculum all in one volume
About the Author
Barbara Lauritsen Christensen, MS, RN, Nurse Educator, Mid-Plains Community College, North Platte, NE; and Elaine Oden Kockrow, MS, RN, Formerly, Nurse Educator, Mid-Plains Community College, North Platte, NE
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.