Berry & Kohn's Operating Room Technique, 11e
For 50 years, Berry & Kohn's Operating Room Technique has been the text of choice for understanding basic surgical principles and techniques. Berry & Kohn's enjoys continued success in both educational and professional markets because of its readability, accuracy, clarity, and comprehensiveness. It covers the "nuts and bolts" of surgical techniques in a step-by-step format that enables learners to effectively apply basic principles to clinical practice. The eleventh edition features an engaging full-color design, a new chapter on spinal surgery, new Patient and Team Safety boxes, unique perioperative flash cards, expanded teaching supplements for instructors, and much more.
- Prepares the nurse for actual OR situations with point-by-point descriptions of perioperative settings, procedures, and technology.
- Explains both the fundamentals of surgical techniques and today's most commonly performed procedures in terms that can readily be translated into to clinical practice.
- Focuses on the physiologic, psychologic, and spiritual considerations of perioperative patients to provide learners with a knowledge base for planning and implementing comprehensive, individualized care.
- Features in-depth discussions of patients with special needs related to age or health status considerations, with an emphasis on developing plans of care tailored to the unique care parameters of all patients.
- Reflects a focus on professionalism, skilled teamwork, and start-to-finish cooperation among perioperative caregivers aimed at improving patient outcomes.
- Discusses perioperative patient care for both inpatient and ambulatory procedures to highlight considerations based on the setting as well as the surgical procedure itself.
- Provides detailed information about the fundamentals of perioperative nursing and surgical technology roles.
- Attractive and engaging full-color internal design and approximately 380 full-color illustrations depict key perioperative principles and surgical anatomy, techniques, and instrumentation.
- Two-sided perioperative flash cards incorporate images from the book to help students learn concepts such as positioning, dissection, incisions, and sutures. These are provided on perforated card stock in the front of the text.
- A new chapter on Spinal Surgery expands upon the important subspecialty of neurosurgery.
- Enhanced chapter opener pedagogy previews the concepts and techniques covered in the chapter:
- Chapter Objectives
- Chapter Outline (new)
- Key Terms and Definitions (new)
- List of Supplemental Material on Evolve website (new)
- A comprehensive and alphabetical glossary of key terms and definitions is provided on Evolve.
- Bioterriorism considerations are discussed in the Decontamination and Disinfection chapter.
- The expanded Legal and Ethical Issues chapter discusses the concept of "time outs," HIPAA privacy regulations, and the role of the Investigational Review Board for investigational studies.
- Patient and team safety features cover topics such as radiation safety, latex sensitivity, patient temperature regulation, medication administration, skin protection, powered devices, and endoscopic considerations.
- The Ambulatory Surgery Centers chapter has been expanded to cover additional alternative site surgeries, including mobile hospitals for the military.
- The chapter on Potential Sources of Injury to the Caregiver and the Patient covers chemical, physical, and biological sources of injury.
- Robotics are be discussed in the Endoscopic Surgery chapter.
- Surgical pharmacology content has been expanded and thoroughly updated, including new content on blood products.
- The Implants and Wound Site Closure chapter features a general overview of implants, including the categorizing, handling, storing, documenting of various types of implants (biologic, synthetics, etc.).
- The General Surgery chapter now includes a discussion of the trauma patient.
- In the index, page numbers are bold where the key terms are defined in the text.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
About the Author
Nancymarie Phillips, BSN, BA, MEd, RNFA, CNOR, CPSN, Director of Surgical Technology Program, Lakeland Community College, Kirtland, OH
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.