Textbook of Diagnostic Microbiology - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 5e
Providing a reader-friendly "building-block" approach to the essentials of diagnostic microbiology, this accessible, full-color text helps you develop the problem-solving skills necessary for success in the clinical setting. This updated edition has new content on nanomedicine and HIV/AIDS and the immunocompromised patient, including the latest information on prevention, treatment modalities, and CDC guidelines. Updated photos offer new examples of automated lab instruments, while case studies, review questions, and learning objectives present information in an easy-to-learn way.
- A building-block approach encourages you to use previously learned information to sharpen your critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Full-color design, with many full-color photomicrographs, prepares you for the reality of diagnostic microbiology.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter supply you with a measurable outcome to achieve by completing the material.
- A case study at the beginning of each chapter provides you with the opportunity to form your own questions and answers through discussion points.
- Issues to Consider boxes encourage you to analyze important points.
- Bolded key terms at the beginning of each chapter equip you with a list of the most important and relevant terms in each chapter.
- Points to Remember sections at the end of each chapter identify key concepts in a quick-reference, bulleted format.
- Hands-on procedures describe exactly what takes place in the micro lab, making content more interesting and relevant.
- Learning assessment questions at the conclusion of each chapter allow you to evaluate how well you have mastered material.
- Agents of bioterrorism chapter furnishes you with the most current information about this hot topic.
- Glossary of key terms at the end of the book supplies you with a quick reference for looking up definitions.
- NEW! Nanomedicine and HIV/AIDS and the immunocompromised patient content supplies you with the latest information on prevention, treatment modalities, and CDC guidelines.
- NEW! Updated photos familiarize you with the equipment you’ll use in the lab.
- NEW! Case Checks throughout each chapter tie content to case studies for improved understanding.
- NEW! An editable and printable lab manual provides additional opportunities to learn course content using real-life scenarios with questions to reinforce concepts.
- Review questions for each learning objective help you learn to think critically about the information in each chapter, enhancing your comprehension and retention of material.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
About the Author
Connie R. Mahon,MS,MT(ASCP),CLS(NCA) is the author of several books for clinical laboratory scientists and technicians and is currently Director of the Clinical Laboratory Program at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC.
David G. Fowler,PhD,CLS(NCA) is Professor and Chair of the Dept. of Clinical Laboratory Sciences at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, Mississippi.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.