New Mermaids are modernized and fully-annotated editions of classic English plays. Each volume includes:
· The playtext, in modern spelling, edited to the highest bibliographical and textual standards
· Textual notes recording significant changes to the copytext and variant readings
· Glossing notes explaining obscure words and word-play
· Critical, contextual and staging notes
· Photographs of productions where applicable
· A full introduction which provides a critical account of the play, the staging conventions of the time and recent stage history; discusses authorship, date, sources and the text; and gives guidance for further reading.
Edited and updated by leading scholars and printed in a clear, easy-to-use format, New Mermaids offer invaluable guidance for actor, student, and theatre-goer alike.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Written and first performed in 1599, The Shoemaker’s Holiday was the most popular non-Shakespearean comedy of its day--a hearty comedy of character and overflowing good humor, occasionally ribald, about the gentle craft of shoemaking.About the Author:
Bernard Sahlins is co-editor, with Nicholas Rudall, of the Plays for Performance series. He has also written Days and Nights at The Second City.
The Plays for Performance series is edited by Nicholas Rudall, former artistic director of the Court Theatre at the University of Chicago where he is professor of classics, and Bernard Sahlins, founder and director of the Second City. They both live in Chicago, Illinois.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description A&C Black, 1990. Paperback. Book Condition: New. New Condition - May Have Price Sticker on Back Cover - We Ship Quickly Thank you for your business. Bookseller Inventory # mon0000001490
Book Description A&C Black, 1990. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P110393900622
Book Description A&C Black. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 0393900622 New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW7.1066017
Book Description A&C Black, 1990. Paperback. Book Condition: New. 2. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0393900622