New Mermaids are modernized and fully-annotated editions of classic English plays. Each volume includes:
· The playtext, in modern spelling, edited to the highest bibliographical and textual standards
· Textual notes recording significant changes to the copytext and variant readings
· Glossing notes explaining obscure words and word-play
· Critical, contextual and staging notes
· Photographs of productions where applicable
· A full introduction which provides a critical account of the play, the staging conventions of the time and recent stage history; discusses authorship, date, sources and the text; and gives guidance for further reading.
Edited and updated by leading scholars and printed in a clear, easy-to-use format, New Mermaids offer invaluable guidance for actor, student, and theatre-goer alike.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
The Rover is the most popular play by the first female professional writer in England, Aphra Behn. Set in Italy during the chaotic misrule of carnival time, the play explores issues of love, deception and the excesses of sexual passion.About the Author:
The Editor, Robyn Bolam, is Professor of Literature at St Mary's University College, London.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description R.S. Means Company, 1997. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0393900762
Book Description R.S. Means Company, 1997. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # M0393900762