Offers thirty-four anecdotal chapters of reminiscences, experiences, and opinions on food, cooking, and eating, as well as thirty-five recipes ranging from traditional to inventive
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Laurie Colwin is the author of five novels: Happy All the Time; Family Happiness; Goodbye Without Leaving; Shine On, Bright and Dangerous Object; and A Big Storm Knocked It Over; three collections of short stories: Passion and Affect, Another Marvelous Thing, and The Lone Pilgrim; and two collections of essays: Home Cooking and More Home Cooking. She died in 1992.Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.:
Old-Fashioned Steamed Chocolate Pudding
1. Melt 2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate. Let cool.
2. Sift 1/2 cup of sugar.
3. Beat one egg until light. Add the sugar to it gradually and beat until creamy.
4. Add melted chocolate and then add 1 tablespoon melted, cooled butter.
5. Sift 1 cup of all-purpose flour. Resift with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. Add to the egg mixture in three parts, alternating the thirds with 1/2 cup of milk in three parts. Beat until smooth after each addition.
6. Pour into a buttered pudding mold. Cover with waxed paper tied down with a rubber band and steam in a kettle for one hour.
This pudding tips nicely out of its mold and looks like a baked hat. It is delicious with a raspberry puree, or with whipped cream. Some people like it sliced with a little jam. Steamed puddings have a wonderful satiny texture: half a pudding, half a cake and the nicer half of each.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Knopf, 1988. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P11039455969X
Book Description Knopf, 1988. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Brand New!. Bookseller Inventory # VIB039455969X
Book Description Knopf, 1988. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # M039455969X
Book Description Book Condition: New. New. Bookseller Inventory # S-039455969X
Book Description Knopf, 1988. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX039455969X
Book Description Knopf, 1988. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 1st. Ships with Tracking Number! INTERNATIONAL WORLDWIDE Shipping available. Buy with confidence, excellent customer service!. Bookseller Inventory # 039455969Xn