This text for the one- or two-semester applied or business calculus course uses intriguing real-world applications to engage students' interest and show them the practical side of calculus. Integrated use of graphing calculators, combined with thought-provoking writing exercises, give students a well-rounded mathematical experience. Brief Applied Calculus has been praised by reviewers for its optional integration of technology and its strong pedagogy, which includes unique end-of-section summaries.
- New! For added convenience and motivation, complete Solutions to Practice Problems are now placed between the Section Summary and Section Exercises, rather than in an appendix.
- New! An updated design provides a cleaner and more modern presentation to promote student success and understanding.
- New! An enhanced technology package includes a free CD-ROM packaged automatically with the purchase of every new text.
- New! Sections of the text have been written to appeal to the business-minded student.
- The interesting, contemporary applications that have made this text popular with instructors and students are drawn from a wide range of fields, including athletics, biomedical sciences, environmental sciences, management science and business, personal finance and management, social and behavioral sciences. Applications are labeled by subject for easy identification, and the text's many real-world examples also are identified by a globe icon.
- Integrated yet optional graphing calculator coverage includes boxed Graphing Calculator Explorations and Exercises (identified by an icon), which explore new topics, carry out otherwise long calculations, or show the limitations and pitfalls of technology. Any graphing calculator (or a computer graphing program) may be used. References in the text are from the TI-83 graphing calculator. References to the TI-89 are also included where appropriate.
- Consistent pedagogical reinforcement includes unique Section Summaries that briefly state essential formulas and key concepts and help with test and quiz preparation; Chapter Summary with Hints and Suggestions that review key concepts of a chapter with references to specific review exercises; and Extra Practice Problems provided after selected worked-out examples, with full solutions at the end of the section.
- A variety of exercises and assignment options include Exercise Sets that increase in difficulty and allow instructors to customize homework. Projects and Essays, with opportunities for collaborative, critical- thinking, and writing exercises are included on the textbook web site and CD-ROM.
- Cumulative Review Exercises at the end of selected chapters give students an easy way to review and reinforce previously learned concepts and skills.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.