The English Studies Handbook is a combination of critical dictionary, anthology, workbook and study guide. It is designed primarily for students studying English Language and/or Literature at colleges and universities. Inter-disciplinary in approach and highly flexible in its range of applications, it provides students and teachers with a text adaptable enough to support learning and teaching the whole range of introductory courses in English language, literature and culture.
* contains 100 common critical, theoretical and linguistic terms
* each entry is extensively cross-referenced, and includes a definition, critical historical application, activities, cues for discussion and notes for further reading
* includes numerous examples from a wide range of texts: contemporary and classic, literary and otherwise. Each extract is contextualised and cross-referenced to items in the body of the book
* introduces the historical, geographical, cultural and social complexities of 'English' and explores its study as a college and university subject
* introduces the major theoretical positions and provides practical approaches to the subject
* contains maps and a linguistic, literary and cultural chronology of 'Englishes'
* has a flexible structure suitable for a variety of courses and classroom contexts
* introduces students to a wide range of literary and non-literary texts
* can be used as a classroom text or as an aid to independent study
* provides an overview of current materials and strategies for teaching and learning.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Rob Pope is Principal Lecturer in English Studies at Oxford Brookes University. He has taught English at universities in England, Wales, Russia, New Zealand and Australia. Well known for his innovative teaching practices, he is author of Textual Intervention (Routledge, 1995).Review:
'A marvellously compact, all round guide to English, written primarily with the undergraduate in mind but suitable for everyone with an interest in the language. Seriously academic textbooks rarely make for interesting, accessible reading for the rest of us, but this is one very welcome exception.' - Writing Maga zine
'Useful to teachers as a handbook to the changing nature of English Literature, and a source of classroom activities' - English and Media Magazine
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Routledge, 1998. Book Condition: Fair. 1st Edition. Shows definite wear, and perhaps considerable marking on inside. Bookseller Inventory # GRP79504813
Book Description Paperback. Book Condition: Very Good. The book has been read, but is in excellent condition. Pages are intact and not marred by notes or highlighting. The spine remains undamaged. Bookseller Inventory # GOR001524299
Book Description Routledge, 1998. Book Condition: Very Good. 1st Edition. Ships from the UK. Former Library book. Great condition for a used book! Minimal wear. Bookseller Inventory # GRP79866187
Book Description Routledge, 1998. Paperback. Book Condition: Used; Very Good. Dispatched, from the UK, within 48 hours of ordering. Though second-hand, the book is still in very good shape. Minimal signs of usage may include very minor creasing on the cover or on the spine. Bookseller Inventory # CHL1608530
Book Description Routledge, 1998. Paperback. Book Condition: Used; Acceptable. Dispatched, from the UK, within 48 hours of ordering. The book is perfectly readable and fit for use, although it shows signs of previous ownership. The spine is likely creased and the cover scuffed or slightly torn. Textbooks will typically have an amount of underlining and/or highlighting, as well as notes. If this book is over 5 years old, then please expect the pages to be yellowing or to have age spots. Bookseller Inventory # CHL2190859
Book Description Routledge, 1998. Paperback. Book Condition: Used; Good. Dispatched, from the UK, within 48 hours of ordering. This book is in good condition but will show signs of previous ownership. Please expect some creasing to the spine and/or minor damage to the cover. Bookseller Inventory # CHL2273511
Book Description Routledge, 1998. Paperback. Book Condition: Good. Sent within 24 hours. Expedited UK delivery available. Bookseller Inventory # BBI1993645
Book Description Routledge, 1998. Paperback. Book Condition: Used; Good. Bookseller Inventory # mon0001687072
Book Description Routledge, 1998. Paperback. Book Condition: Good. 9780415128674 Will be shipped promptly from UK warehouse. Book is in good condition with no missing pages, no damage or soiling and tight spine. There may be some dog-eared pages showing previous use but overall a great book. Bookseller Inventory # 9053-9780415128674
Book Description Routledge 05/03/1998, 1998. Book Condition: Very Good. Shipped within 24 hours from our UK warehouse. Clean, undamaged book with no damage to pages and minimal wear to the cover. Spine still tight, in very good condition. Remember if you are not happy, you are covered by our 100% money back guarantee. Bookseller Inventory # 6545-9780415128674