This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Embracing studies of football fans across Europe, this book tackles questions of power, national and regional identities, and race and racism, highlighting the changing role of fans in the game. Combining new approaches to the study of fan culture with critical assessments of the commercialization of the game, this fascinating book offers a comprehensive and timely examination of the state of European football supporters culture as the game prepares itself for the next millennium.
The contributors, all leading figures in sports studies, consider:
* whether football remains the peoples game, or if it is now run entirely by and for club owners and directors who have overseen the flotation of clubs on the stock exchange, a new focus on merchandising and the escalation of players salaries
* the role of FIFA and UEFA in the struggle for control of world football
* manifestations of racism and extreme nationalism in football, from the English medias xenophobic coverage of Euro 96 to the demonisation of Eric Cantona
* media representations of national identity in football coverage in Germany, France and Spain * the interplay of national, religious and club identities among fans in England, Scotland, Ireland, Portugal and Scandinavia
* the role of the law in regulating football
* the future for supporters at a time when watching the match is more likely to mean turning on the television than going to a football ground.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Routledge, 2018. Paperback. Condition: NEW. 9780415181044 This listing is a new book, a title currently in-print which we order directly and immediately from the publisher. Print on Demand title, produced to the highest standard, and there would be a delay in dispatch of around 10 working days. For all enquiries, please contact Herb Tandree Philosophy Books directly - customer service is our primary goal. Seller Inventory # HTANDREE0254650
Book Description Routledge. Condition: BRAND NEW. BRAND NEW Softcover - 312pp - This title is now printed on demand - please allow 2-3 weeks added time for shipment - Extra shipping required as this ships via Fedex. A Brand New Quality Book from a Full-Time Bookshop in business since 1992!. Seller Inventory # 1967887
Book Description Routledge, 1998. Paperback. Condition: New. Seller Inventory # DADAX0415181046
Book Description Routledge, 1998. Paperback. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P110415181046
Book Description Routledge, 1998. Paperback. Condition: Brand New. 1st edition. 289 pages. 9.25x6.25x1.00 inches. In Stock. Seller Inventory # zk0415181046
Book Description Routledge 1998-06-18, 1998. Condition: New. Brand new book, sourced directly from publisher. Dispatch time is 4-5 working days from our warehouse. Book will be sent in robust, secure packaging to ensure it reaches you securely. Seller Inventory # NU-TNFPD-00113445
Book Description Routledge, 1998. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0415181046
Book Description Routledge, 1998. Paperback. Condition: New. Ships with Tracking Number! INTERNATIONAL WORLDWIDE Shipping available. Buy with confidence, excellent customer service!. Seller Inventory # 0415181046n