This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
More than a quarter of a million copies sold in previous editions!
From home desktop to enterprise server, here's all the Linux you need
With Fedora Core 6, you get the latest Linux technology and previews of upcoming Red Hat Enterprise Linux software. Run Fedora Core 6 live (no install required), install it to hard disk when you're ready, and add hundreds of Fedora Extras packages. Everything comes on the DVD and two CDs included with this book. Use the latest Linux desktop, server, and systems administration features as you learn skills that scale up to professional, commercial-quality Linux systems.
Configure Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise Linux to:
* Create documents, presentations, and spreadsheets with OpenOffice.org productivity applications
* Manage and play music (Rythmbox), video (Totem), and digital images (GIMP) on the desktop
* Communicate over the internet using Evolution e-mail, Firefox Web browser, and GAIM instant messanger
Try out cutting edge Fedora 6 features:
* Add 3D eye candy to your Fedora Desktop with AIGLX
* Install Fedora 6 on an Intel-based Mac to dual boot with Mac OS X
* Run Xen virtualization for multiple systems on your desktop
What's on the DVD and CD-ROMs?
* Install the complete Fedora Core 6 from the DVD.
* Boot Fedora 6 live and try it before installing it to your hard drive, or run a Fedora network install from CD #1.
* Add hundreds of Fedora Extras packages for gaming, multimedia, and more from CD #2.
System Requirements: Please see the Preface and Appendix A for details and complete system requirements.
Open for more!
* Explore the latest Fedora 6 features
* Find ten cool things to do with Fedora Linux
* Try out the Fedora 6 Quick Install
Explore the Latest Fedora 6 Features
Intriguing new features for Fedora Linux 6 include support for 3D accelerated desktop animations (with AIGLX) and software from the Mono Project, to run .NET applications created for Windows and Linux systems
Play with 3D desktop animations
Experimental 3D software lets you rotate workspaces on a 3D cube, choose 3D minimalize effects, and use 3D fade effects.
Run Mono applications in Linux
Mono Project software in Fedora will bring thousands of .NET applications in Linux. For now, try Tomboy sticky notes, Beagle desktop search tool, and F-Spot photo manager.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Christopher Negus has been working with UNIX systems, the Internet, and (most recently) Linux systems for more than two decades. During that time, Chris worked at AT&T Bell Laboratories, UNIX System Laboratories, and Novell, helping to develop the UNIX operating system. Features from many of the UNIX projects Chris worked on at AT&T have found their way into Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Fedora, and other Linux systems.
Chris is the author of all editions of what started out as Red Hat Linux Bible, which because of the name changes of Red Hat’s Linux projects has evolved into the book you are holding. Most recently, Chris wrote Linux Bible 2006 Edition and co-wrote Linux Troubleshooting Bible and Linux Toys II for Wiley Publishing. During the past few years, Chris has written several books on UNIX and the Internet, including Internet Explorer 4 Bible and Netscape Plug-Ins For Dummies for Wiley Publishing. He also co-wrote several books for Que Publishing, including The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Networking (second and third editions) and Using UNIX (second edition).
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Wiley, 2006. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M047008278X
Book Description Wiley, 2006. Paperback. Condition: New. Seller Inventory # DADAX047008278X
Book Description Condition: New. New. Seller Inventory # STR-047008278x