Packed with more than 650 recipes plus 600 variations and more information than ever before, the Seventh Edition of this cornerstone professional resource offers complete, step-by-step instruction in cooking principles and the techniques necessary for success as a professional chef.
Wayne Gisslen's Professional Cooking has been used by hundreds of thousands of chefs to master the basics of their craft, including knife skills, knowledge of ingredients, and plating techniques.
- More than 100 new recipes, including fresh ideas for meats, poultry, vegetables, and grains, as well as an increased focus on international recipes
- Updated information on the latest nutrition guidelines and enhanced coverage of topics including food science, molecular gastronomy, and culinary math
- More than 1,000 instructive illustrations and photos, including more than 220 all-new color photos highlighting new recipes and procedures
- Wayne Gisslen is also the author of Advanced Professional Cooking, Professional Baking, and The Chef's Art, all from Wiley
Whether you are studying or training in professional food preparation or just want to take your home cooking to a higher level, this authoritative text is your essential guide to all the most vital professional techniques.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
This is the best-selling undergraduate food preparation textbook in the marketplace. It has a long standing reputation for being comprehensive, yet easy for students to understand and follow. Wayne Gisslen's reputation for being able to simply, yet comprehensively, communicate information to beginning chefs is unsurpassed.
Professional Cooking, Seventh Edition includes videos that will help further illustrate the correct techniques in the kitchen. On top of that there are over 100 new recipes, some with particular emphasis on international cooking.
- Enhanced visual program includes over 220 new color photos, including plated dishes, procedures, and products.
- Approximately 100 new recipes have been added, for a total of 650 recipes plus another 600 variations.
- More focus on international recipes and variations.
- Enhanced topical coverage on such things as: food science, molecular gastronomy, international recipes, and culinary maths.
- Chapter 10, Understanding Meats, now includes all information on meat fabrication in one convenient place.
- Up-to-date nutrition guidelines.
- Thoroughly revised and enhanced CulinarE-Companion Recipe Management software contains all recipes from the book – and 90 bonus recipes. The software is available through download with the registration code in the back of the book.
Test Your Culinary Knowledge True/False
- Food containing disease-causing bacteria is likely to smell or taste spoiled.
- After curing, foods are air-dried for a short time before being smoked
- Steam is a better conductor of heat than air is.
- If both raw and cooked meats must be in the same refrigerator, store the cooked meats on the higher shelves and raw meats on the lower shelves.
- How do you carry a knife safely?
- The starch used to thicken cream pie fillings is ______________________________.
Which of the following source-->food-borne disease combinations is correct? (a) shellfish-->trichinosis
(b) pork-->infectious hepatitis
(c) poultry-->streptococcal infections
(d) food workers-->staphylococcus food poisoning Frozen foods are best defrosted_______________________. (a) at room temperature
(b) under refrigeration
(c) in the microwave at least a day in advance
(d) in a warm place A cake formula calls for emulsified shortening, but you have run out. Which of the following can you substitute? (a) regular shortening
(c) half margarine and half regular shortening
(d) none of the above Which of the following is not a good technique for keeping the breast moist while roasting turkey? (a) Barding the breast
(b) Roasting the turkey breast down
(c) Basting with stock instead of fat
(d) Cooking the breast and leg sections separately Answer Key True/False
- Hold it beside you, point down, with the sharp edge back and away from you. Don't swing your arm. Whenever possible, carry knives in a sheath. Warn other workers when you are carrying a knife past them.
'... it is an excellent reference for the serious home cook...a very appropriate resource to build your knowledge.' (Culinaria Libris, September 2010).
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.