This General, Organic and Biochemistry text has been written for students preparing for careers in health-related fields such as nursing, dental hygiene, nutrition, medical technology and occupational therapy. It is also suited for students majoring in other fields where it is important to have an understanding of the basics of chemistry. Students need have no previous background in chemistry, but should possess basic math skills. Raymond was crafted to take advantage of recent trends in the GOB market. It is a shorter, lighter book with a new, integrated table of contents that develops general, organic, and biochemistry topics together, rather than in isolation.
In introducing GOB material, this text uses an integrated approach in which related general chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry topics are presented in adjacent chapters. This approach helps students see the strong connections that exist between these three branches of chemistry, and allows instructors to discuss these, interrelationships while the material is still fresh in students' minds. This integration involves the following sets of chapters:
* Chapter 3 (Compounds) and Chapter 4 (An Introduction to Organic Compounds). An introduction to bonding and compounds is followed by a look at the members of a few key organic families.
* Chapters 3, 4 and 6.(Reactions).. A study of inorganic.and organic compounds is followed (after a look at gases, liquids, and solids in Chapter 5) by an introduction to their reactions.
* Chapter 7 (Solutions) and Chapter 8 (Lipids and Membranes) A discussion.of solubility is followed by a look at the importance of solubility in biochemistry. Some reactions from Chapter 6 are reintroduced.
* Chapter 9.(Acids and Bases) and Chapter 10 (Carboxylic Acids, Phenols and Amines) Principles of acid/base Chemistry from an inorganic perspective are followed by a chapter on the organic and biochemical aspects of this topic.
* Chapter 11 (Alcohols, A1dehydes and Ketones) and Chapter 12 (Carbohydrates). An introduction to the chemistry of alcohols, aldehydes and ketones is followed by a presentation of related biochemical applications.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Wiley, 2008. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P11047022844X
Book Description Wiley, 2008. Paperback. Book Condition: New. 2. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX047022844X