This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
First published in 1963, this unique and pioneering anthology has been continuously used as an invaluable text in Russian studies. Containing over sixty selections from the finest of Russia’s medieval authors, much of the material published in this anthology has never before been available in English. Medieval Russian Epics, Chronicles, and Tales is a vital resource for readers interested in learning more about the writings that influenced Pushkin, Gogol, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and Chekhov.
Editor Serge A. Zenkovsky completely revised the text and enlarged the book, adding almost one hundred pages of new material, including:
· Sviatoslav’s Early Campaigns
· The Siege of Kiev and Olga’s Death
· Vladimir Monomakh: Instruction to His Children
· Tale of the Life and Courage of the Pious and Great Prince Alexander
· Narrative of the Pious Prince Dovmont and His Courage
· The Writing of Daniil the Prisoner
· Orison on the Life and Death of Grand Prince Dmitry Ivanovich
· Afanasy Nikitin’s Journey Across Three Seas
· Ivan Funikov: Message of a Nobleman to a Nobleman
· Epic of Sukhan
· Simeon Polotsky: Excerpt from Ode on the Birth of Peter I
· Simeon Polotsky: The Law
· Simeon Polotsky: The Merchant Class
· Tsar Alexis Mikhailovich: The Rules of Falconry
In addition to a comprehensive introduction, the editor has prefaced each selection with detailed information about its literary and historical background, and has included a glossary and brief chronology of Russian history and culture.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Serge A. Zenkovsky (1907–1990) was a Ukrainian American scholar and writer who specialized in Russian history and literature. He was a professor of Slavic civilization and literature at Vanderbilt University and taught at Indiana University, Harvard University, and Heidelberg University (Germany). He is the author of Medieval Russia's Epics, Chronicles, and Tales, and edited and translated The Nikonian Chronicle.Language Notes:
Text: English, Russian (translation)
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Plume, 1974. Paperback. Condition: New. Enlarged 2nd. Seller Inventory # DADAX0525473637
Book Description Plume, 1974. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0525473637