Designed for the first-year developmental math course in intermediate algebra, this text retains the hallmark features that have given the Aufmann texts a solid reputation for reliability: a clear writing style, an emphasis on problem-solving strategies, and the acclaimed Aufmann Interactive Method. The text's objective-based framework offers guided learning for both lecture and self-paced courses.
- New! The revised IAE, rich with new instructor support materials, features reduced student pages with support material in the margins. (Answers to exercises and transparency icons appear on the reduced student page.) Features include Instructor Notes; tips for introducing new or recycled vocabulary, symbols, formulas, rules, properties or equations; Discuss the Concepts prompts; Concept Check questions; Optional Student Activities; In-Class Examples to present with every objective; Suggested Assignments; Quick Quiz; and Answers to selected Writing Exercises, Focus on Problem Solving activities, and Projects and Group Activities.
- New! AIM for Success, a special preface for students, guides them in how to be successful using the text and the Aufmann Interactive Method (AIM). Suggestions for using the Preface as a lesson are featured in the Instructor's Resource Manual.
- New! Prep Tests at the beginning of each chapter highlight the prerequisite skills to be used in the chapter. The answers to these questions can be found in the Answer Appendix along with a reference to the objective from which the question was taken. Students who miss a question are encouraged to review the objective. The Go Figure problem that follows the Prep Test is a puzzle problem for interested students.
- New! Redesigned chapter openers now feature two-page spreads with motivating photos and captions that illustrate and reference a specific application from the chapter. A list of applications in the chapter is also provided.
- The Aufmann Interactive Method (AIM), which accompanies every objective, features one or more sets of matched-pair examples that encourage students to interact with the text. The first example in each set is completely worked out; the matched Problem, prompts students to practice concepts as they are presented in the text. Each Problem includes a reference to an Appendix in the back of the text where there is a completely worked-out solution to which the student can refer for immediate feedback, concept reinforcement, identification of problem areas, and prevention of frustration.
- An integrated learning system organized by objectives provides the main framework for the text. Each chapter begins with a list of learning objectives, which are woven throughout the text, in Exercises, Chapter Tests, and Cumulative Reviews, as well as through the print and multimedia ancillaries. The result is a seamless, easy-to-follow learning system.
- An extensive collection of contemporary application problems draws from real source data to show students the value of mathematics as a real-life tool. Chapter openers have been updated to include new photos and captions illustrating and referencing a specific application from the chapter, as well as a list of all applications (with page references).
- Chapter-ending Focus on Problem Solving introduces students to various problem-solving strategies. Students are encouraged to write their own strategies and draw diagrams to find solutions. The use of some open-ended problems results in more than one right answer and strengthens problem-solving skills.
- Take Note boxes in the margins alert students to more complex procedures or remind them to check their work.
- Point of Interest margin notes offer interesting background information on the topic being discussed.
- Concept Review Exercises preceding every exercise set test students' understanding by asking them to respond, "always true, sometimes true, or never true." Using Concept Review exercises as oral exercises at the end of a class section can lead to interesting class discussions.
- A wide variety of problem sets, identified by icons to denote writing, real data, calculator, and web exercises, includes completely updated Real Data Problems, integrated Writing Exercises, and section-ending Applying Concepts exercises that require interpretation, analysis, and critical thinking.
- Updated Projects and Group Activities near the end of each chapter provide opportunities for extra credit or cooperative learning activities. Implementing strategies suggested by AMATYC, students can use these projects to explore topics relating to functions, geometry, statistics, science, and business. Projects with real-world relevance requiring use of the Internet are set off from the text with a web icon.
- Each chapter concludes with a Chapter Summary, Chapter Review Exercises, a Chapter Test, and Cumulative Review Exercises.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.