This popular K?8 reading/literacy methods text focuses on a contemporary, active learning approach as the means for teaching literacy. The Sixth Edition continues to provide pre-service and in-service teachers with a resource that will help them do the most effective job possible, providing balanced literacy instruction for all students, along with strategies and lessons for direct and indirect instruction. This Teaching in Action Edition is packaged with a special guide that correlates text material with HM Video Cases.
- Chapter 9 provides much needed coverage on how to help children with reading problems, and offers intervention plans and strategies for classroom teachers. This chapter specifically addresses issues for ELL/LEP readers and related issues of diversity.
- Educator Speaks boxed features contain real-life descriptions of how practitioners have successfully used a strategy in the areas of technology, diversity, and accommodating individual needs.
- Thorough standards coverage highlights the impact of national, state, and local standards on teachers, students, and schools.
- Additional coverage includes an emphasis on the needs of upper-elementary and middle school students; children's literature selections accompanied by sample lesson plans; and an emphasis on decoding, vocabulary, and meaning.
- Eduspace is a dynamic online tool that enhances course management and delivery and allows students to share information, reflect, and review. Eduspace offers students access to such interactive components as HM Video Cases, a discussion board and online journal, and a unique tutorial on developing a teaching portfolio.
- Houghton Mifflin Video Cases, four- to six-minute video modules presenting real classroom scenarios, enable students to observe the day-to-day challenges and rewards of teaching from the convenience of their computers. Available on the Online Teaching and Study Centers, HM Video Cases are enhanced by classroom artifacts, Viewing Questions, Interview Transcripts, Key Terms, and bonus video footage.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.