This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Party Politics in America, now considerably revised and updated, is a longtime leading text on American political parties. Its coverage is comprehensive, including the American party system and its third parties and independents; all three parts of the parties (the party organizations, the party in the electorate, and the party in government); and the interaction among these parts, especially during election campaigns. Professor Beck integrates academic research on the parties with contemporary and historical examples of party politics in the U.S. The eighth edition incorporates new research and political events through the beginning of the 1996 presidential election campaign, employs more comparisons with other democratic party systems than before, and addresses directly the question of the changing role of the parties in American politics.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
In revising classic works in political science, Longman celebrates the contributions its authors and their research have made to the discipline. The Longman Classics in Political Science series honors these authors and their work. Providing students with an updated context, each title in the series includes a foreword, written by one of today’s top scholars, offering a fresh, in-depth analysis of the book and its enduring contributions.
Long considered the gold standard of political parties texts, Party Politics in America provides students with an in-depth analysis of the historic 2008 Presidential campaign and election while looking ahead to assess what the shifting political winds have in store for the future of the major political parties and Americans’ political views.
Originally penned by Frank Sorauf and now authored by Marjorie Hershey, Party Politics in America provides students with the clearest, most comprehensive and engaging understanding of political parties and partisanship, which in turn are key to understanding the workings of elections, public opinion, policy-making, and leadership.
New to the Fourteenth Edition
· Completely updated information on the election results, campaign finance data, voter turnout and public opinion findings through the 2008 elections can be found throughout the entire text.
· Chapter 4 details the innovations in the national party organizations’ fund-raising and voter contact programs.
· Chapter 5 gives more attention to the participation and views of young voters, including a new “A Day in the Life” box featuring a college student working to win votes for Barack Obama in the rural areas and small towns of Appalachia.
· Chapter 7 examines the impact of the 2008 election on the remarkable regional shifts in the two parties’ bases of support.
· Chapter 8 has been reconfigured to focus on the parties’ efforts to broaden or limit access to the polls, including controversial state laws requiring voter ID and proof of citizenship in order to vote.
· Chapter 11 covers the use of technologies like texting and Twitter and how these new communication techniques are affect political campaigns.
· Chapter 12 examines the Obama fund-raising phenomenon and the rise in campaign activity by 501(c) groups.
· Chapter 16 assesses the pathways the Republican Party could choose to regain the momentum it has recently lost.About the Author:
Paul Allen Beck is a professor of political science and department chair at The Ohio State University.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Longman Pub Group. Textbook Binding. Condition: VERY GOOD. Light rubbing wear to cover, spine and page edges. Very minimal writing or notations in margins not affecting the text. Possible clean ex-library copy, with their stickers and or stamp(s). Seller Inventory # 2860425143
Book Description Longman Pub Group. Condition: Good. . Owner's name inside. 8th edition. Seller Inventory # T05C-01230
Book Description Longman Publishing. Textbook Binding. Condition: Fair. Seller Inventory # G067399578XI5N00
Book Description Longman Pub Group. TEXTBOOK BINDING. Condition: Good. 067399578X Good Condition. Has writing/highlighting. Five star seller - Buy with confidence!. Seller Inventory # Z067399578XZ3
Book Description Condition: acceptable. 544 Gramm. Seller Inventory # M0067399578X-B
Book Description Longman Pub Group, 1996. Textbook Binding. Condition: Used: Good. Seller Inventory # SONG067399578X
Book Description Longman Pub Group, White Plains, NY, 1996. Softcover. Condition: As New. 8th Edition. As new condition. All pages clean. Quantity Available: 1. ISBN: 067399578x. ISBN/EAN: 9780673995780. Pictures of this item not already displayed here available upon request. Inventory No: 1560717566. Seller Inventory # 1560717566