This practical, comprehensive resource helps nurses plan individualized care for clients in the medical-surgical, extended care, or home care environments. It covers over 70 individual disorders, with detailed care plans that feature a definition/discussion of the disorder, outcome/discharge criteria, nursing and collaborative diagnoses, desired outcomes, nursing actions and selected purposes/rationales, NIC interventions and NOC outcomes, and discharge teaching. This book also includes the popular Online Care Planner that allows users to edit and print 48 standardized nursing diagnosis care plans.
- Content presents an expanded focus of care beyond the hospital setting to provide broader application in extended care and home care settings.
- 70 comprehensive medical-surgical care plans are included - the most extensive care plans content available.
- Guidelines for individualizing care plans using a case study format are provided.
- Body system organization makes content easy to locate.
- A comprehensive, color-tabbed unit contains 24 nursing diagnoses care plans with referrals to this content in the disorders-specific care plans.
- Nursing/collaborative diagnoses are linked to actions and rationales in a user-friendly, two-column format.
- Specific points for discharge teaching serve as guidelines for nurses in planning client education.
- A complete discussion of caring for older adult clients and changes that occur with aging help readers understand the unique considerations of caring for this population group.
- Separate discussions of surgical, immobile, and dying clients provide a complete perspective on these special clients.
- An alphabetical listing of NANDA diagnoses inside the book's front cover helps readers locate specific care plans and nursing and collaborative diagnoses.
- A new, two-color design makes the text even more user-friendly and visually appealing.
- Rationales for nursing actions are italicized in the text for emphasis.
- An Online Care Planner allows users to edit and print 48 standardized nursing diagnoses care plans or individualized plans of care.
- Client outcomes and discharge readiness are emphasized, including an Outcome/Discharge Criteria heading.
- A new care plan on Implanted Cardioverter Defibrillator focuses on the adult client admitted for implantation of a cardioverter-defibrillator.
- A new care plan on Pacemaker Implantation focuses on the adult client with a symptomatic dysrhythmia hospitalized for implantation of a permanent pacemaker.
- LA new care plan on Acute Upper Gastrointestinal (GI) Bleed focuses on the adult client hospitalized with a massive upper GI bleed.
- Updated NIC interventions and NOC outcomes for each condition are highlighted in a second color.
- Thoroughly updated and edited content is provided throughout, including expanded outcomes.
- The latest (2003-2004) NANDA-approved nursing and collaborative diagnoses describe the actual or potential health problems that a client with a particular condition may experience.
- Drug-herb interactions have been added to address patients' increased use of complementary and alternative medicines.
- Updated NOC outcomes and NIC interventions are listed for the nursing diagnoses in each care plan.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
70 comprehensive medical-surgical care plans are included
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.