Krause's Food, Nutrition, & Diet Therapy is a classic textbook in the field of nutrition and diet therapy, providing a wealth of information on nutrition basics, nutrition throughout the life cycle, nutrition care, nutrition for health and fitness, and medical nutrition therapy. Always up-to-date with the most current information available, this outstanding resource recognizes the increasing importance of nutrition in achieving and maintaining optimal health and fitness and as a component of complete and effective healthcare. It is universally recognized as an essential text for nutrition and diet therapy students and practicing registered dietitians. It features extensive appendixes, tables, illustrations, figures, and clinical insight boxes that provide practical hands-on information and clinical tools for use throughout a student's education and career.
- Edited by two leading experts in nutrition and written by a team of nationally recognized contributors to ensure that all information is authoritative and up-to-date
- Organized into five key parts - Nutrition Basics, Nutrition in the Life Cycle, Nutrition Care, Nutrition for Health and Fitness, and Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Clinical Insight, Focus On... and New Directions boxes provide additional information on key topics and suggest further discussion, study, or research
- Clinical Scenarios present case studies that help apply content to real world situations
- Relevant Web Sites direct the reader to online resources that relate to chapter topics
- Pathophysiology algorithms present the cause, pathophysiology, and the medical nutrition management for a variety of disorders and conditions
- A new chapter, Introduction to Nutritional Genomics, discusses the latest on genetic and nutrition interactions that are changing clinical practice
- The chapter on Counseling for Change has been updated to include more information on counseling techniques, stages of change, activities that facilitate change, and an intervention model to aid in the nutrition counseling process
- The chapters on Energy, Macronutrients, Vitamins, and Minerals have been updated with the latest releases of the Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs)
- The chapter on Nutrition in the Adult Years includes updated information about the latest developments on understanding phytochemicals and their role in health maintenance and disease prevention
- The chapter on Nutrition in the Community includes updated information on functional foods and their biologically active substances, which provide medical and health benefits
- The chapter on Integrative Medicine and Phytotherapy includes the latest government regulatory information on the marketing and sale of food supplements and botanicals
- The chapters on Guidelines for Dietary Planning and Dietary Clinical Assessment include the latest information on the new Dietary Reference Intakes, the 2000 Dietary Guidelines, Healthy People 2010, and new information on assessing nutritional status.
- The chapter on Medical Nutrition Therapy for Diabetes offers the new guidelines for diabetes management released by the American Diabetes Association
- The chapter on Medical Nutrition Therapy for Cardiovascular Disease includes new guidelines for hyperlipidemia, released by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
THE foremost nutrition text -- featuring authoritative coverage of essential nutrition information
About the Author
Janice Raymond, MS, RD
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.