The creation of the UK motorway network in the second half of the 20th century facilitated a dramatic improvement in the mobility of people and goods and contributed greatly to the prosperity enjoyed today.
* Recounts the many attempts to promote substantial road improvement and new road planning in the first half of the 20th century
* Includes a reprint of Sir Frederick Cook's seminal report along with other papers reflecting the altered attitude to motorways
* An account of Harold Watkinson's contribution, who, though not the first to announce a motorway, did more than most Ministers of Transport to initiate the motorway programme
* Economic appraisal and forecasting techniques used
* The technical problems that had to be mastered in the persistent search for better value for money
* How the Transport Research Laboratory contributed to better safety through its interest in engineering, materials and design
* Chapter devoted to geometric design
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Brand New Original US Edition, Perfect Condition. Printed in English. Excellent Quality, Service and customer satisfaction guaranteed!. Bookseller Inventory # AIND-63035
Book Description Book Condition: New. New. US edition. Perfect condition. Customer satisfaction our priority. Bookseller Inventory # ABE-FEB-54943
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. New. US edition. Customer Satisfaction guaranteed!!. Bookseller Inventory # SHUB54943
Book Description Book Condition: New. Brand New Original US Edition.We Ship to PO BOX Address also. EXPEDITED shipping option also available for faster delivery. Bookseller Inventory # AUSBNEW-63035
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. New, US edition. Excellent Customer Service. Bookseller Inventory # ABEUSA-54943
Book Description Thomas Telford Ltd. Book Condition: New. pp. 992. Bookseller Inventory # 50903801
Book Description Thomas Telford Ltd, 2004. Hardcover. Book Condition: Brand New. 992 pages. 9.92x7.87x2.28 inches. In Stock. Bookseller Inventory # 0727731963