The third edition of this best-selling, prize-winning textbook continues to lead the field with its widely acknowledged capacity to enthuse students through its challenging and thought-provoking style. With the reforming Blair government in its second term, evidence of popular disenchantment with traditional politics, globalization and new levels of terrorism, British politics continues in a state of dramatic flux. To chart the most recent developments in contemporary British politics, this edition has been updated in all its 22 chapters.
* Coherent structure of this single-authored textbook makes it exceptionally easy to use and draws the threads together with a holistic perspective
* Brings the subject to life by taking the reader beyond 'facts' to the fascinating questions about power, ambition, intrigue and corruption in the real world of politics
* Attractively presented, with memorable quotations, cartoons, photographs, diagrams and tables to enliven the text and make the learning process involving and informative
* Glossary, impressive bibliography and up-to-date chronology.
* Supported by a textsite designed for students and lecturers: www.polity.co.uk/kingdom
Well established as a central text for students of British politics and government, the book has also proved of wide relevance throughout the social sciences.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
"A formidable and highly commendable introduction to British politics. It is packed with illustrations and boxed quotations. Its range, depth of understanding and ability to catch and retain the reader's attention are impressive."
Times Higher Education Supplement
"John Kingdom has produced an impressive introduction to British government. It manages to combine comprehensive coverage, social and historical context, and the clever use of analytical approaches. Overall this is a first-class text for A-level and undergraduate students."
Martin Smith, University of Sheffield
"This book is written with wonderful clarity, and is presented with great user-friendliness. John Kingdom's deep historical grip underpins his combination of descriptive style, explanatory rigour and intellectual challenge. It is a masterly account of both the old and new in the stable and changing institutions and processes of British government and politics in the contemporary world."
Adrian Leftwich, University of York
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description 2003. Paperback. Book Condition: New. 3rd. Paperback. The third edition of this best-selling, prize-winning textbook continues to lead the field with its widely acknowledged capacity to enthuse students through its challenging an.Shipping may be from our Sydney, NSW warehouse or from our UK or US warehouse, depending on stock availability. 786 pages. 1.352. Bookseller Inventory # 9780745625942