This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Olympic Event Organization is the first text to address a number of important questions in contemporary mega-event management:
* Which organizations are involved in the Olympic Movement and in what capacity?
* What are the interorganizational flows of authority and finance between them?
* How is work grouped, in what unit sizes, how specialized and formalized are work processes?
* How complex, dynamic, diversified, or friendly is their environment?
* What are the power issues and how do the technological processes affect these organizations?
* How do the OCOGs evolve in their life cycle, what pressures shape their structures and management processes and how is work co-ordinated?
The examination of the Olympic Games event organization in the 10-year period, from bidding to post-games closing down, draws material from host cities to explore the types of interorganizational flows that take place at various stages for the Olympic Games to be delivered. Knowledge transfer from one host city to the next and an established organizational field also means that management practises sometimes follow some externally imposed organizing logics. The challenges faced by organizers are discussed and the tensions that a strong management template from the IOC creates are also examined. Finally, the issue of sustainability of the Olympic Games is identified along with an analysis of the ways in which the concepts of impact are appropriated by the various stakeholders involved with the Olympic Games as they attempt to influence public opinion.
Written in an accessible and insightful manner Olympic Event Organization is essential reading for both academics and practitioners alike.
* Accessible, insightful and highly topical this is the first text to focus on the nature of the Olympic Games as the ultimate mega event
* Strong theoretical analysis of processes and challenges in the lifecycle of the Olympics event organisation, from bidding to closing down.
* Rich material drawn from direct sources in case studies of Sydney 2000, Salt Lake City 2002, Athens 2004, Torino 2006, Beijing 2008, Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 Olympic Games
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Dr. Eleni Theodoraki is Reader in Festival and Event Management at Edinburgh Napier University Business School, UK. In March 2010 she was appointed Core Commissioner in the Commission for a Sustainable London 2012 by the London Mayor.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Routledge. Condition: BRAND NEW. BRAND NEW Softcover - This title is now printed on demand - please allow added time for shipment! A Brand New Quality Book from a Full-Time Veteran Owned Bookshop in business since 1992!. Seller Inventory # 3511323
Book Description Routledge, 2007. Hardback. Condition: NEW. 9780750684767 This listing is a new book, a title currently in-print which we order directly and immediately from the publisher. For all enquiries, please contact Herb Tandree Philosophy Books directly - customer service is our primary goal. Seller Inventory # HTANDREE0189294
Book Description Butterworth-Heinemann, 2007. Paperback. Condition: Brand New. 1st edition. 208 pages. 9.50x6.75x0.75 inches. In Stock. Seller Inventory # __0750684763
Book Description Routledge, 2007. Paperback. Condition: New. Seller Inventory # DADAX0750684763
Book Description Routledge 2007-09-07, 2007. Condition: New. Brand new book, sourced directly from publisher. Dispatch time is 4-5 working days from our warehouse. Book will be sent in robust, secure packaging to ensure it reaches you securely. Seller Inventory # NU-TNFPD-00132022
Book Description Condition: New. New. Seller Inventory # STR-0750684763
Book Description Butterworth-Heinemann, 2007. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0750684763
Book Description Butterworth-Heinemann, 2007. Hardcover. Condition: New. 1. Ships with Tracking Number! INTERNATIONAL WORLDWIDE Shipping available. Buy with confidence, excellent customer service!. Seller Inventory # 0750684763n