This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Thomas Jefferson Byrd is used to facing new challenges. Although only 13 years old, he has already left homes in South Carolina and Alabama. Now, he finds himself in the wilderness that is the Mexican territory of Texas.
While his father serves as a volunteer in the Texas army, "Jeff" is left with the burden of helping his mother, brothers, and sister adapt to their new home at Columbia on the Brazos River. Having grown up in Charleston and Mobile, two busy seaports, the boy has a difficult time adapting to inland farm life.
Fortunately, a young neighbor, Josh Sagler, befriends Jeff. Their fathers are both in the army, and they feel a strong urge to do something to help in the struggle for Texas independence. Their chance comes when Jeff and Josh join their fathers at Fort Defiance. In the months that follow, Jeff faces his greatest challenges yet, including struggling to decide the difference between his friends and his enemies.
br>Jamestown’s American Portraits explores the growth of different generations and cultures through the lives of young boys and girls. These titles are told from a diverse group of boys and girls, coming from different and unique backgrounds that represent America’s own diverse population, spanning from the Jamestown Settlement to the Civil Rights Movement.
Titles in this series:
· This Generation of Americans: A Story of the Civil Rights Movement, by Fredrick L. McKissack, Jr.
· The Road to Freedom: A Story of the Reconstruction, by Jabari Asim
· All For Texas: A Story of Texas Liberation, by G. Clifton Wisler
· The Worst of Times: A Story of the Great Depression, by James Lincoln Collier
· Wind on the River: A Story of the Civil War, by Laurie Lawlor
· When I Dream of Heaven: Angelina’s Story, by Steven Kroll (1895 Italian Immigrant in NYC)
· An Eye for an Eye: A Story of the Revolutionary War
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Brighter Child, 2004. Paperback. Condition: New. Seller Inventory # DADAX0769634281
Book Description Brighter Child, 2004. Paperback. Condition: New. Brand New!. Seller Inventory # VIB0769634281
Book Description Brighter Child, 2004. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0769634281
Book Description Brighter Child, 2004. Paperback. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P110769634281