This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
- One in six Americans will develop skin cancer during his or her lifetime.
- Skin cancer now accounts for one-third of all cancers diagnosed in the United States each year.
- Sun exposure is the cause of sixty-five percent of the cases of malignant melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer.
- Melanoma is the most frequently diagnosed cancer among American women ages twenty-five to twenty-nine and second most frequently diagnosed (after breast cancer) for women ages thirty to thirty-four.
That's the bad news. The good news is you don't have to give up having fun out of doors in order to safeguard your health. Safe in the Sun tells you everything you need to know to protect your skin and eyes from harmful ultraviolet radiation.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
This book addresses the misconception that a tan is healthy, explaining how ultraviolet radiation from sunbathing and tanning salons is harmful to the skin and eyes and can result in premature aging and skin cancer. The incidence of skin cancer is increasing in the United States, ranking ninth in the top ten of new cancer cases, and some skin cancers can develop into the more serious malignant melanoma. This book covers the environmental issues as well as the personal habits that have caused this increase. Guidelines for reducing the risk of skin cancer and premature aging and a discussion of diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer is included. Appendixes cover recommended sunscreens, compounds, and medications that cause phototoxicity; a bibliography arranged by author (it would have been more useful arranged by subject); and a glossary with clear, understandable definitions. Recommended for all public and academic libraries.
- Betsy Kraus, New Mexico Inst. of Mining & Technology Lib., Socorro
Copyright 1990 Reed Business Information, Inc.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Walker & Company, 1995. Paperback. Condition: New. Revised. Seller Inventory # DADAX0802774598
Book Description Walker Books, 1995. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0802774598