This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Based on a symposium honoring the extensive work of Allen Newell -- one of the founders of artificial intelligence, cognitive science, human-computer interaction, and the systematic study of computational architectures -- this volume demonstrates how unifying themes may be found in the diversity that characterizes current research on computers and cognition. The subject matter includes:
* an overview of cognitive and computer science by leading researchers in the field;
* a comprehensive description of Allen Newell's "Soar" -- a computational architecture he developed as a unified theory of cognition;
* commentary on how the Soar theory of cognition relates to important issues in cognitive and computer science;
* rigorous treatments of controversial issues in cognition -- methodology of cognitive science, hybrid approaches to machine learning, word-sense disambiguation in understanding material language, and the role of capability processing constraints in architectural theory;
* comprehensive and systematic methods for studying architectural evolution in both hardware and software;
* a thorough discussion of the use of analytic models in human computer interaction;
* extensive reviews of important experiments in the study of scientific discovery and deduction; and
* an updated analysis of the role of symbols in information processing by Herbert Simon.
Incorporating the research of top scientists inspired by Newell's work, this volume will be of strong interest to a large variety of scientific communities including psychologists, computational linguists, computer scientists and engineers, and interface designers. It will also be valuable to those who study the scientific process itself, as it chronicles the impact of Newell's approach to research, simultaneously delving into each scientific discipline and producing results that transcend the boundaries of those disciplines.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
...a highly recommended book for students of the cognitive sciences, and thus is a fitting tribute to the research of Allen Newell.
—Journal of Math Psychology
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Taylor and Francis, 1996. PAP. Condition: New. New Book. Shipped from UK in 4 to 14 days. Established seller since 2000. Seller Inventory # F9-9780805813647
Book Description Psychology Press, 1996. PAP. Condition: New. New Book. Shipped from UK in 4 to 14 days. Established seller since 2000. Seller Inventory # F9-9780805813647
Book Description Psychology Press, 1996. Paperback. Condition: New. Brand New ,Original Book , Direct from Source , Express 5-8 Business days worldwide Delivery. Seller Inventory # FTH67997
Book Description Lawrence Erlbaum. Condition: BRAND NEW. BRAND NEW Softcover-488pp - This title is now printed on demand - please allow an added 2-3 weeks for shipment! A Brand New Quality Book from a Full-Time Veteran Owned Bookshop in business since 1992!. Seller Inventory # 2007818
Book Description Psychology Press, 1996. Paperback. Condition: NEW. 9780805813647 This listing is a new book, a title currently in-print which we order directly and immediately from the publisher. For all enquiries, please contact Herb Tandree Philosophy Books directly - customer service is our primary goal. Seller Inventory # HTANDREE0212966
Book Description Routledge 1996-07-13, 1996. Condition: New. Brand new book, sourced directly from publisher. Dispatch time is 4-5 working days from our warehouse. Book will be sent in robust, secure packaging to ensure it reaches you securely. Seller Inventory # NU-TNFPD-00011897
Book Description Routledge, 1996. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0805813640
Book Description Psychology Press. Condition: BRAND NEW. BRAND NEW Softcover - This title is now printed on demand - please allow added time for shipment! A Brand New Quality Book from a Full-Time Veteran Owned Bookshop in business since 1992!. Seller Inventory # 3502321
Book Description Psychology Press, 1996. Paperback. Condition: New. Seller Inventory # DADAX0805813640
Book Description Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc Inc, 1996. Paperback. Condition: Brand New. 1st edition. 488 pages. 9.00x6.00x1.25 inches. In Stock. Seller Inventory # __0805813640