The Hammond World Atlas has garnered awards for graphics, accuracy, and innovation in each edition. Of this peerless, indispensable resource, the Philadelphia Inquirer states, "The Hammond World Atlas is beautiful, and after 100 years, the folks at Hammond have got it down."
We are proud to announce the publication of the completely revised edition of Hammond World Atlas Corporation's landmark publication, the Hammond World Atlas Fifth Edition. This gorgeous, oversized, full-color atlas is perfect for exploring the world in which we live. Featuring compelling articles, stunning photography, and enhanced Terra-Scape maps that make the topographic features leap off the page, this new edition has been updated to include the latest developments in our changing world.
* Dramatic, full-color continent openers on current events and subjects, such as Hurricane Katrina and the European Union, illustrated with four-color photos and eye-catching graphics
* Breathtaking new 48-page Satellite Image Section adds a compelling visual perspective of the world's geographical features
* 64-page Thematic Section highlights such themes as the Solar System, including information on Pluto's demotion to a "dwarf planet," Tsunamis, including the 2004 disaster in Asia, and Global Warming
* The Map Section--more than 200 accurate, easy-to-read digital maps with striking physical relief , updated to include the two newest nations of Montenegro and Serbia
* Updated population chart and figures--the U.S. has hit the 300 million mark
* Handy reference tools include a World Statistics Chart, Countries of the World with flags and facts (Venezuela and the Democratic Republic of Congo have new country flags), a Glossary of Foreign Terms, and an easy look-up 100,000-entry Master Index
* Hundreds of four-color photographs throughout
Visually rich and appealing, this deluxe atlas is an ideal gift and a valuable addition to any home or office library.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Grade 8 Up—With revised and updated maps, this resource boasts the accuracy of its predecessor (2002). However, the volume's copious extras are what really stand out: "Thematic Sections" on topics ranging from global climate zones to the economics of tourism; a fascinating collection of satellite maps; and handy statistical summaries of all the countries of the world, listing population, national religion, capital, and other fast facts. Best of all are the "Continental Themes" that precede each regional grouping in the main map section, which offer contextual information relevant to each continent (for example, the European Union, or the impact of the December 2004 tsunami). The graphic design has been updated to a cleaner, more eye-catching style than that of the previous edition, with full-color photographs throughout. Pagination may prove an issue (numbers start over in each section, and there is no way to find the beginning of one except by browsing). Still, this is a valuable edition that thoroughly addresses current environmental concerns, with multiple maps and essays covering topics such as global warming and the future of energy sources.—Kathleen Kelly MacMillan, Carroll County Public Library, MD
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Like most comprehensive world atlases published in the new millenium, such as The Times Atlas of the World (12th ed., 2007), the National Geographic Atlas of the World (8th ed., 2005) and Oxford University Press Atlas of the World (14 ed., 1007; 13th ed., CH, Apr 07, 44-4225) the fifth edition of this Hammond World Atlas includes thematic maps, satellite imagery and statistics. The thematic section combints text, photos, diagrams and maps to describe Earth's physical and human geography. The satellite section uses imagery to illustrate the physical geography of Earths surface. The maps section includes physical relief and political maps of the continents and general maps at scale ratios of 1:12,000,000 to 1:500,000. Each continents section includes maps of UNESCO cultural heritage sites and a thematic essay combining text, photos and maps. The statistics and index section inlcudes tables of physical and human geography rankings, an alphabetic list of countries with basic data, a list of country and city populations, and a 110,00 entry place-name index. The atlas is thoroughly updated and reasonalby priced; its cartography and photography are stunning. Summing Up: Recommended. All levels. --J. A. Coombs - Missouri State University (Choice)
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Hammond World Atlas Corp., 2007. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P110843709677
Book Description Hammond World Atlas Corp., 2007. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Brand New!. Bookseller Inventory # VIB0843709677
Book Description Hammond World Atlas Corp., 2007. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 5. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0843709677
Book Description Hammond World Atlas Corp., 2007. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # M0843709677