This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
First Place for Jazz is a comprehensive jazz curriculum built from the ground up essential for implementing the jazz ensemble curriculum. The book is divided into three sections by key: Concert Bb, F, and Eb. Within each section the major, Mixolydian, Dorian, and blues scales and correlated chords of that key are introduced through Jazz Starters, Rhythm Section Spotlights, and Rhythm Sectionals. These enrichments prepare students to play each of the 12 original grade 1-2 Jazz Ensemble Charts and Lead Sheets. Suitable for group or individual instruction, this unique organization, combined with a host of innovative features including Kjos Interactive Practice Studio and availability in SmartMusic, will provide bands with the tools it will need.
- Aurally-presented Scales provide a foundation for more advanced improvisation study.
- Pitch Sets are progressive - students learn to walk before they run.
- Chords are introduced one at a time, allowing students to gradually master their harmonic understanding.
- Rhythm Figures, taken from the jazz ensemble charts, help students to develop their understanding of the phrasing and articulations unique to jazz.
- Improvisation Practice gives students the opportunity to apply what they learned in the Scale, Pitch Set, chord and Rhythm Figure exercises.
- Let's Check Progress motivates students by allowing them to chart their growth.
- Spotlights develop the individual skills of rhythm section players.
- Instrument-specific recordings for all Jazz Starters, charts, and Lead Sheets are provided online in the First Place for Jazz Interactive Practice Studio.
- Rhythm Sectionals build the rhythm section groove for the Jazz Ensemble Charts step-by-step.
- Jazz Ensemble Charts cover rock, swing, and Latin styles, applying what students learn in the Jazz Starters, Spotlights, and Rhythm Sectionals. Books for alto sax, tenor sax, trumpet, and trombone include both lead and second parts on facing pages allowing all students on each instrument to use the same books.
- All students can play the melody for each chart and strengthen their improv chops using the Lead Sheets. They are suitable for combo performance and individual practice.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Dean Sorenson is a prolific and highly sought after composer, trombonist, and clinician. His most recent publications, the Standard of Excellence Jazz Ensemble Method, Advanced Jazz Ensemble Method, and Jazz Combo Session, are a "must-have" for developing jazz ensembles and combos.
Dean holds degrees from the University of Minnesota and the Eastman School of Music and is Interim Director of Jazz Studies and Performance at the University of Minnesota-Minneapolis. He spent two years touring the United States and Japan with the Glenn Miller Orchestra, playing trombone and writing many arrangements for the band. Dean is a Yamaha performing artist and maintains an active freelance schedule, playing for touring shows and a wide variety of local groups.
Recent commissions have come from the Augusta State College Jazz Band, the South Jersey Wind Ensemble, and the Chestnut Brass Company. His many compositions and arrangements are published by the Neil A. Kjos Music Company.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Kjos Music Company, 2011. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0849771072
Book Description Kjos Music Company, 2011. Paperback. Condition: Brand New. 1st edition. 56 pages. 11.80x8.80x0.50 inches. In Stock. Seller Inventory # 0849771072
Book Description Kjos Music Company, 2011. Paperback. Condition: New. 0. Ships with Tracking Number! INTERNATIONAL WORLDWIDE Shipping available. Buy with confidence, excellent customer service!. Seller Inventory # 0849771072n