This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Raising a child with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder is not easy. Bombarded with conflicting medical advice and worn down by the daily frustrations of child care, parents are likely to feel exhaused, confused, and helpless. This much-needed, authoritative book empowers parents of children with ADHD with the knowledge and the confidence they need to ensure their child receives the best care possible. Features include step-by-step methods for managing a child with ADHD in a variety of everyday situations; the latest information on available medications; numerous techniques for enhancing a child's school performance; and a special section devoted to the needs of the parents.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Russell A. Barkley, PhD, ABPP, ABCN, is Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the Medical University of South Carolina. Dr. Barkley has published numerous books and five assessment scales, plus more than 260 scientific articles and book chapters on ADHD, executive functioning, and childhood defiance. He is also the editor of the newsletter The ADHD Report. A frequent conference presenter and speaker who is widely cited in the national media, he is past president of the Section on Clinical Child Psychology (the former Division 12) of the American Psychological Association, and of the International Society for Research in Child and Adolescent Psychopathology. His website is www.russellbarkley.org.Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.:
Introduction: A Guiding Philosophy for Parents of ADHD Children.
I. Understanding ADHD.
1. What Is Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder?
2. A New Theory about ADHD.
3. What Causes ADHD?
4. What to Expect: The Nature of the Disorder.
5. Family Life with an ADHD Child.
II. Taking Charge: How to Be a Successful Executive Parent.
6. Deciding to Have Your Child Evaluated for ADHD.
7. Preparing for the Evaluation.
8. Coping with the Diagnosis of ADHD.
9. Ten Guiding Principles for Raising a Child with ADHD.
10. Just for Parents: How to Take Care of Yourself.
III. Managing Life with ADHD: How to Cope at Home and at
11. Eight Steps to Better Behavior.
12. Taking Charge at Home: The Art of Problem Solving.
13. How to Help Your Child with Peer Problems
14. Getting through Adolescence with an ADHD Child, with Arthur
15. Off to School on the Right Foot: Managing Your Child's
Education, with Linda J. Pfiffner.
16. Enhancing Education at School and at Home: Methods for
Success from Kindergarten through Grade 12.
17. Keeping School Performance in Perspective.
IV. Medications for ADHD.
18. The Stimulants, with George J. DuPaul and Anthony Costello.
19. Other Medicines for ADHD.
Parent Support Groups for ADHD
Suggested Readings and Videotapes
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description The Guilford Press, 1995. Paperback. Condition: New. Seller Inventory # DADAX0898620996
Book Description The Guilford Press, 1995. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0898620996
Book Description Guilford Publications, Incorporated. Condition: New. Seller Inventory # 5797436
Book Description The Guilford Press, 1995. Paperback. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P110898620996
Book Description Condition: New. New. Seller Inventory # STRM-0898620996
Book Description The Guilford Press, 1995. Paperback. Condition: New. Ships with Tracking Number! INTERNATIONAL WORLDWIDE Shipping available. Buy with confidence, excellent customer service!. Seller Inventory # 0898620996n