How Glendale Got Its Name In the early 1880s town names such as Etheldean, Minneapolis, Portosuelo, Riverdale, San Rafael, and Verdugo were proposed for the area. Following Thanksgiving dinner in 1883, settlers met at the schoolhouse (which also served as the community church) on lower Verdugo Road to discuss the possible names for the town. Ultimately, a young woman painter from Chicago offered the two word name "Glen Dale" and it was approved. Although there is no documented rationale for this choice, "Glendale" means "Valley" in Scottish or Gaelic, and many of the early settlers of the region had emigrated from the British Isles. The two-part name was simplified to one word, however mail continued to be addressed to "Verdugo". It took eight years to persuade the Post Office to adopt the name "Glendale". It's Official: Glendale becomes a Town By 1887, Glendale , having an established name and being at about 150 acres, was surveyed and recorded officially as a town. By the turn of the century Glendale was rapidly becoming urbanized. In 1902 the Glendale Improvement Society, under the leadership of Mr. Edgar D. Goode and Dr. D.W. Hunt, embarked on a campaign to advertise Glendale, to develop new business, to attract residents, and above all to bring the Los Angeles Interurban railroad to Glendale from Los Angeles. The tracks were laid in 1904 through a strip of land owned by Leslie C. Brand -- a location well to the west of the then main thoroughfare, Glendale Avenue. The railway (by then called the Pacific Electric) eventually helped shift the business center of Glendale to Brand Boulevard, and also sparked the desired population growth. Glendale was officially incorporated in 1906.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Donning, 1990. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P11089865808X