Camp Chase was a Civil War camp established in May 1861, on land leased by the U.S. Government. It served as a replacement for the much smaller Camp Jackson. The main entrance was on the National Road 4 miles (6.4 km) west of Downtown Columbus, Ohio. Boundaries of the camp were present-day Broad Street (north), Hague Avenue (east), Sullivant Avenue (south), and near Westgate Avenue (west). Named for former Ohio Governor and Lincoln's Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase, it was a training camp for Ohio volunteer army soldiers, a parole camp, a muster outpost, and a prisoner-of-war camp. The nearby Camp Thomas served as a similar base for the Regular Army. Camp Chase Cemetery Monument. As many as 150,000 Union soldiers and 25,000 Confederate prisoners passed through its gates from 1861-1865. By February 1865, over 9,400 men were held at the prison. More than 2,000 Confederates are buried in the Camp Chase Cemetery.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Advanced Wordsmithing, 1990. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0962603406
Book Description Advanced Wordsmithing. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 0962603406 New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW6.0640723
Book Description Advanced Wordsmithing, 1990. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110962603406
Book Description Advanced Wordsmithing, 1990. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. New item. Bookseller Inventory # QX-172-60-7043907