The old City of Manchester began as a town incorporated by the legislature in 1769, and ceased to exist as an entity when it merged with Richmond in 1910. During the 140 years of its independent existence, it was center for trade and manufacturing for the area south of the James. This book outlines the town's history, with brief articles on the bridges, schools, medicine, the Manchester diamond and the term "Dogtown." The legend of the "Haunted House" is included, as well as reminiscences of old citizens published in the newspaper in 1941 and 1960. Brief sketches of the early suburbs and of several old homes, now in the city, but then in the county are included. A large section is devoted to the major churches and to numerous old Manchester homes, most of which are no longer standing. There is an appendix, listing town trustees and city council members, members of militia untis, lot owners and signers of a petition. The book is fully referenced and indexed.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description B.B. Weisiger, III, 1993. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P11096383200X