This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Intimate Encounters: Fix problems in your established intimate relationship with uncomplicated strategies that have worked over 27 years for Bonnye Pardo's therapy clients.
The second printing of Intimate Encounters:
* Teaches concrete strategies for making positive changes.
* Describes common intimacy blockers and other distancing behaviors used, often unconsciously, to prevent intimacy from happening.
* Makes the material entertaining: "John and Susie" vignettes are brief examples of "everyman's/ woman's" dysfunction in action.
* Recognizes that most people are trying to cope with life in the fast lane. The focus is sharp and brief ("how to's") rather than theoretical (case histories).
* Purposefully avoids jargon, psycho-babble, and lengthy discourse.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Intimate Encounters deals with common distancing strategies people use, often unconsciously, to prevent intimacy from happening. Familiar intimacy blockers are name calling, put downs, blaming, jealousy, perfectionism and the silent treatment, to name a few. Anger, in its destructive forms, can be a powerful intimacy blocker, whereas handled in a healthy way, can actually promote intimacy. Other distancing behaviors which may not be recognized as such are provoking arguments, workaholism, addiction to television, sports, alcohol or drugs, inattentiveness, depression,, and chronic negativism. In addition to identifying intimacy blockers, Intimate Encounters provides specific concrete strategies for making positive changes. Techniques which Bonnye Gault Pardo uses in therapy are delineated.About the Author:
Bonnye Pardo has twenty-seven years of professional experience in psychotherapy with individuals, couples, families, and groups in adjusting to and coping with the complexities and stresses of today's lifestyles. She has a private practice in Slidell, Louisiana, outside New Orleans.
Bonnye's academic background includes postgraduate study in psychiatry at Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana, a masters degree in psychiatric social work at Tulane University School of Social Work, New Orleans, Louisiana, and an A.B. (major in sociology and a minor in psychology) at Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia.
Bonnye has served on the following faculties: Hillsborough Community College, Tampa, Florida (Instructor), Saint Leo College, Saint Leo, Florida (Instructor), Director of the Student Counseling Center, Saint Leo, Florida, and Tulane University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, New Orleans, Louisiana (Associate Professor)
Ms. Pardo has presented seminars and original papers on emotional & verbal abuse, stress management, problems with intimacy, and alcohol & drug addictions. These presentations have been in various international locations, including Paris, France; Berlin, Germany; Zurich, Switzerland; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and New Orleans & Slidell, Louisiana
She has hosted a radio talk show, "Personally Yours, With Bonnye" (WARB, Covington, LA; WSMB, New Orleans, LA; WALE, Providence, RI).
Bonnye has been a guest on television talks shows (WWL, New Orleans, LA) dealing with emotional and verbal abuse and with problems couples face with intimacy. In addition, she has been interviewed numerous times on radio news and talk radio regarding topics of "headline interest."
Bonnye Pardo is the authoress of Intimate Encounters - Creating Healthy Relationships, a book that provides specific, concrete strategies for making positive changes to achieve intimacy in established relationships.
To help people deal with the ever escalating pace of life, Bonnye produced an audio tape: Taking the Distress Out of Stress. She is active in community affairs:
* Member of the Advisory Board for the Family Service Society in St. Tammany, Louisiana
* Past-Chair of the Board of East St. Tammany Mental Health Association, which supports Sunshine House a daytime center for the chronically mentally ill
* Past President of the Board of Safe Harbor Battered Women's Shelter
* Sponsor of Slidell Youth Basketball Association
* Honorary Mayor of the City of Slidell, 1995-97
Bonnye has acted in theatrical productions at Theater Marigny, Minacapelli's, and Slidell Little Theater.
In 1992 Bonnye Pardo was selected "Woman of the Year" by the business and professional women in her community.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Stellar Productions, 1996. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0964543702