This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
This is possibly the most comprehensive book on alcohol and other drug addiction ever written. It is the first to explain how to identify the problem in the earliest stages, before tragedy occurs. Most readers cannot put the book down; they depict it as a ¡§page turner,¡¨ a description rarely used in regards to non-fiction work. You will discover:
(1) Alcoholism is a biological disorder, based in ancestry. It¡¦s inception has nothing to do with one¡¦s environment, circumstances or psychological type. These determine instead, the form that addiction takes.
(2) Why the addict is incapable of self-diagnosis. AA¡¦s ¡§20 questions¡¨ for the addict are converted to 60+ questions for the observer/close person. These questions are largely behavioral.
(3) Because no one can predict when or how destructive the behavior of a practicing addict may become, others need to disengage at the earliest possible moment. How to do so.
(4) Addiction mimics virtually all the Personality Disorders and mental illnesses. Most diagnosed with these problems are, in fact, addicts.
(5) Why pain from consequences is the only means by which to set the stage for intervention. The missing link in intervention.
(6) Via numerous stories, that close persons are in a far better position to identify the problem than are therapists and doctors.
(7) How to protect oneself, personally and professionally, from the financial and other problems that relationships with addicts create.
(8) How the media misinforms keeping the public ignorant about addiction. Numerous news reports and movies are described. The greatest movies about alcoholism have rarely been identified as such.
(9) The role of Psychological Type and Temperament in identifying and treating addiction.
(10) How to recover from the ordeal of having been negatively affected by a alcohol or other drug addict.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
The author wishes to acknowledge the most important (but by no means all) of the authors whose shoulders on which he has stood. The most important of these include James Graham (The Secret History of Alcoholism), James Milam and Katherine Ketcham (Under the Influence), Terence Gorski (numerous works), Vernon Johnson (I¡¦ll Quit Tomorrow), David Keirsey (Please Understand Me), Eve Delunas (Survival Games Personalities Play), and David Parker and Ralph Stacey (Chaos, Management and Economics: The Implications of Non-Linear Thinking). He would also like to publicly thank Jeff Bezos for having founded Amazon.com. Without this vast resource for research, this book would have been far less complete.From the Author:
There is a story of an old man on the beach, tossing starfish back into the water. A little boy asked him why he was bothering to do this and, with so many millions of starfish stranded on sands around the world, how could he possibly make any difference. The old man responded, as he tossed another back into the ocean, that he made a difference, to that one.
I hope, by this little contribution, to make such a difference to one life at a time.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Galt Publishing(Northridge, CA). Condition: New. Hardcover. Worldwide shipping. FREE fast shipping inside USA (express 2-3 day delivery also available). Tracking service included. Ships from United States of America. Seller Inventory # 0967578833
Book Description Galt Pub, 2001. Hardcover. Condition: New. Seller Inventory # DADAX0967578833
Book Description Galt Pub, 2001. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0967578833
Book Description Galt Pub, 2001. Hardcover. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P110967578833
Book Description Galt Pub, 2000. Hardcover. Condition: Brand New. 1st ed edition. 362 pages. 9.50x6.50x1.25 inches. In Stock. Seller Inventory # 0967578833