This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
"Evidence and Paul's Journeys" is a fascinating historical investigation into the travels of the Apostle Paul. Here is what two noted scholars have written about it:
"It is very encouraging to see that the most recent research...has been so carefully gathered together and presented in such a readable form. Jefferson White is to be commended for rendering such a service and his book deserves a wide audience."
- Dr. Bruce Winter Warden of Tyndale House, Cambridge University
"When I received Evidence and Paul's Journeys in the mail, I planned on skimming it for a minute or two and putting it on the shelf. That was a big mistake. Once I began, I could not put it down. The book encouraged my soul, not only about the historical facticity of the book of Acts, but also in making the events vivid and real. An open minded skeptic would benefit from this book and a convinced believer will enjoy the reality it breathes into the Acts narrative."
- J. P. Moreland, Professor of Philosophy, Talbot School of Theology, Biola University
The historical evidence that the book investigates includes:
- the city, regional, and provincial political boundaries and titles mentioned in the book of Acts, some of which existed only in the middle of the first century.
- the social and political characteristics unique to the cities and provinces that Paul visited.
- the archeological findings that bear on the biblical narrative.
- the distances that Paul traveled on land and on sea, and how long it took to cover those distances, according to the scriptures and to ancient and modern testimony.
- the meteorological and nautical evidence relevant to Paul's travels by sea, including the spectacular confirmation of the details surrounding his shipwreck at Malta.
- Paul's arrests and trials, and the legal maneuverings that took place in quite different jurisdictions, studied in the light of evidence about ancient law.
- Paul's dealings with noted individuals who are also written about in pagan and Jewish historical accounts.
- a comprehensive examination of the complex evidential relation between Paul's letters and the book of Acts.
For the first time, all the historical details of Paul's journeys are found in a single book written for the general reader.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
EVIDENCE AND PAUL'S JOURNEYS is an in-depth survey of the historical evidence surrounding the travels of the Apostle Paul. Written by Jefferson White, an independent scholar, this short book is a detailed, yet accessible, examination of that evidence. Until now, the only books available for the non-scholar were surveys dealing with questions of evidence in a summary fashion. For the first time, the historical evidence is dealt with in depth, and in a way that the general reader will find useful.From the Author:
My purpose in writing this book was to get beyond the usual arguments about the evidence, and simply present the evidence as such. My aim was to avoid the irrelevance of much of modern biblical scholarship, which is more about unsubstantiated theories than about evidence. At the same time, I wanted to use the best of that scholarship to discover what can be known about the historical reliability of Luke's account of Paul's travels.
Quite frankly, the more deeply I studied the matter, the more surprised I was at the sheer amount of evidence that exists in relation to the biblical record. Most of that evidence pertains to small details. But since there are so many details that can be verified, and since Luke had to have a first hand knowledge of those details in order to accurately record them, the cumulative effect is impressive.
As I wrote at the conclusion of the book: "The Acts account of Paul’s journeys is as reliable as we may expect history to be. So far as it can be tested by objective evidence, Acts has proven to be an astonishingly accurate record of events."
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Parsagard Press, 2001. Paperback. Condition: New. Seller Inventory # DADAX0970569505
Book Description Parsagard Press, 2001. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0970569505
Book Description Parsagard Press, 2001. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # MB00G9K0B6I
Book Description Parsagard Press, 2001. Paperback. Condition: New. Brand New!. Seller Inventory # VIB0970569505
Book Description Parsagard Press. PAPERBACK. Condition: New. 0970569505 New Condition. Seller Inventory # NEW7.0542391