Centennial history of Cincinnati and representative citizens Volume 1

 
9781130590005: Centennial history of Cincinnati and representative citizens Volume 1

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1904 Excerpt: ...functions and the recorder from exercising any judicial functions. In other respects the act with proper substitutions repeated the terms of the act of 1815. It provided for the same boundaries as those of the town and gave to the settlement the name of "The City of Cincinnati." This act was passed February 5, 1819, and by virtue of a curative act passed three days later took effect on March i, of the same year. (17 O. L. L. 175-202.) This the original charter of the city continued in force until March 1, 1827. During that time the city had but one mayor, Isaac G. Burnet. The first aldermen were David E. Wade, William Burke and Francis Carr and the City Council consisted of Samuel W. Davies, Jacob Wheeler and David Wade from the First Ward; Oliver Lovell, John Tuttle and Richard L. Coleman from the Second Ward; John Armstrong, Nicholas Longvvorth and Jesse Hunt from the Third Ward, and l'eter A. Sprigman. William Oliver and Isaac Hough from the Fourth Ward. Of these, Hunt was president; Oliver, recorder; Wheeler, treasurer and Coleman, clerk. The successive presiding officers of the Council during this time were: Jesse Hunt (1819-20), William Oliver (1821). Samuel Perry (182223), Calvin Fletcher (1824-25), and Lewis Howell (1826-28). The Council met in the brick Town House on the common until 1824, at which time quarters were rented in Francis Carr's brick building at the northwest corner of Third and Hammond streets. Here were the city offices, including the mayor's office, until 1828. (Henderson's Council, p. 33; City Hall, p. 6.) Previous to that time the mayor's office had been at Mayor Burnet's private office on Water street between Walnut and Vine, although he also as indicated by the Directory of 1819 had an office in the City Hall. THE FIR...

"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.

Buy New View Book
List Price: US$ 84.66
US$ 158.66

Convert Currency

Shipping: FREE
Within U.S.A.

Destination, Rates & Speeds

Add to Basket

Top Search Results from the AbeBooks Marketplace

1.

Charles Theodore Greve
Published by RareBooksClub
ISBN 10: 1130590003 ISBN 13: 9781130590005
New Paperback Quantity Available: > 20
Print on Demand
Seller:
BuySomeBooks
(Las Vegas, NV, U.S.A.)
Rating
[?]

Book Description RareBooksClub. Paperback. Book Condition: New. This item is printed on demand. Paperback. 806 pages. Dimensions: 9.7in. x 7.4in. x 1.6in.This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1904 Excerpt: . . . functions and the recorder from exercising any judicial functions. In other respects the act with proper substitutions repeated the terms of the act of 1815. It provided for the same boundaries as those of the town and gave to the settlement the name of The City of Cincinnati. This act was passed February 5, 1819, and by virtue of a curative act passed three days later took effect on March i, of the same year. (17 O. L. L. 175-202. ) This the original charter of the city continued in force until March 1, 1827. During that time the city had but one mayor, Isaac G. Burnet. The first aldermen were David E. Wade, William Burke and Francis Carr and the City Council consisted of Samuel W. Davies, Jacob Wheeler and David Wade from the First Ward; Oliver Lovell, John Tuttle and Richard L. Coleman from the Second Ward; John Armstrong, Nicholas Longvvorth and Jesse Hunt from the Third Ward, and leter A. Sprigman. William Oliver and Isaac Hough from the Fourth Ward. Of these, Hunt was president; Oliver, recorder; Wheeler, treasurer and Coleman, clerk. The successive presiding officers of the Council during this time were: Jesse Hunt (1819-20), William Oliver (1821). Samuel Perry (182223), Calvin Fletcher (1824-25), and Lewis Howell (1826-28). The Council met in the brick Town House on the common until 1824, at which time quarters were rented in Francis Carrs brick building at the northwest corner of Third and Hammond streets. Here were the city offices, including the mayors office, until 1828. (Hendersons Council, p. 33; City Hall, p. 6. ) Previous to that time the mayors office had been at Mayor Burnets private office on Water street between Walnut and Vine, although he also as indicated by the Directory of 1819 had an office in the City Hall. THE FIR. . . This item ships from La Vergne,TN. Paperback. Bookseller Inventory # 9781130590005

More Information About This Seller | Ask Bookseller a Question

Buy New
US$ 158.66
Convert Currency

Add to Basket

Shipping: FREE
Within U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speeds