History of Cook County, Illinois-- Volume 2 ; being a general survey of Cook County history, including a condensed history of Chicago and special ... the earliest settlement to the present time

 
9781231075753: History of Cook County, Illinois-- Volume 2 ; being a general survey of Cook County history, including a condensed history of Chicago and special ... the earliest settlement to the present time
View all copies of this ISBN edition:
 
 

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1909 Excerpt: ...situated at the corner of 150th street and Columb1a avenue, easy of access from the trains, from which come many pupils from different directions to attend this school. In 1890 A. S. K. Anderson, of the Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, preached to a congregation of various denominations in a schoolhouse in Harvey. In December the Methodists withdrew; the Baptists withdrew in January, 1891. A Congregational society, organized of those who remained, worshiped in a temporary structure till 1901, when the present Congregational church was built. The First Methodist Episcopal church was organized December 2, 1890, by the Rev. H. L. Houghton. It met in rented halls until it bought and improved its fine property. The First Baptist church was organized in 1891 and its house of worship was dedicated November 18, 1892. The Christians date their society from 1891. Its people worshiped in the Lutheran church and in a hall until its house was built. The Rev. James B. McClure of Chicago organized the Presbyterian church of Harvey March 17, 1892. Its first regular pastor was Rev. Joseph F. Flint. Its building was erected about seven years ago. The Free Methodist church organized about sixteen years ago. built a church house and a parsonage. The Academy Methodist Episcopal church grew out of a class organized in the academy, May 15, 1892. Rev. Daniel McGuirk was the first pastor. A house of worship costing more than $7,000 was dedicated May 14, 1893, and opened November 6, 1893. A smaller building dedicated December 1, 1895, was later enlarged. The Honore avenue Methodist Episcopal church occupies a fine buikU ing erected in 1897. St. Clements mission (Episcopalian) was organized by the Rev. Joseph Rushton, December 7, 1898, and its Sunday school January 11, 1899. Tt receiv...

"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.

(No Available Copies)

Search Books:



Create a Want

If you know the book but cannot find it on AbeBooks, we can automatically search for it on your behalf as new inventory is added. If it is added to AbeBooks by one of our member booksellers, we will notify you!

Create a Want

Other Popular Editions of the Same Title

9781236367655: History of Cook County, Illinois-- Volume т. 2; being a general survey of Cook County history, including a condensed history of Chicago and special ... the earliest settlement to the present time

Featured Edition

ISBN 10:  1236367650 ISBN 13:  9781236367655
Publisher: RareBooksClub.com, 2012
Softcover