Portsmouth, Historic and Picturesque; A Volume of Information

 
9781231210949: Portsmouth, Historic and Picturesque; A Volume of Information

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1902 Excerpt: ...Hunking Wentworth, born December 19, 1(597. He was chairman of the Committee of Safety at the age of 78 years, and lived on Congress Street. He died in 1784. Mark Hunking Wentworth, brother of Hunking of the fourth generation, was born March 1, 1709, and died in 1785. He lived on Daniel Street. Mark Hunking Wentworth, of the seventh generation, was born in 1813 and died in 1902. He lived on Pleasant Street, in the Captain Thompson house. It is something remarkable that all of the above-named houses arc yet standing except that of Mark Hunking Wentworth on Daniel Street, which was removed to give place to the High School Building. SOUTH MILL AND BRIDGE. The town granted to the first John Pickering, in l(5.rs, this mill privilege, on condition that he should keep in repair, a bridge over the dam, for foot passengers going to church. When first built, the bridge was but six feet wide. The mills were built at the same time by Mr. Pickering, who came here from Massachusetts in 1(53(5, and previously from England. The mill property remained, until 1790, in'the family. In 1881 the city bought the old mill and privilege; the mill being taken down and a store built on the site. (For old meetinghouse see churches.) CAPTAIN TITUS SALTER HOUSE. This fine gambrel-roof dwelling is situated southeast of the South Mill-dam, on the north side of SuIter Street. It was built by Captain Titus Salter about 174", and, as he was married that year to Elizabeth Biekford, it is likely they moved into the new house at that time. It had extensive grounds and wharves, where vessels formerly discharged and loaded their cargoes. The little gambrel-roof house on the opposite side of the street was built by him at the same time for his servants (probably slaves). Captain Titus Salter ...

"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.

Buy New View Book
List Price: US$ 20.40
US$ 27.74

Convert Currency

Shipping: FREE
Within U.S.A.

Destination, Rates & Speeds

Add to Basket

Top Search Results from the AbeBooks Marketplace

1.

Caleb Stevens Gurney
Published by RareBooksClub
ISBN 10: 123121094X ISBN 13: 9781231210949
New Paperback Quantity Available: > 20
Print on Demand
Seller:
BuySomeBooks
(Las Vegas, NV, U.S.A.)
Rating
[?]

Book Description RareBooksClub. Paperback. Book Condition: New. This item is printed on demand. Paperback. 60 pages. Dimensions: 9.7in. x 7.4in. x 0.1in.This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1902 Excerpt: . . . Hunking Wentworth, born December 19, 1(597. He was chairman of the Committee of Safety at the age of 78 years, and lived on Congress Street. He died in 1784. Mark Hunking Wentworth, brother of Hunking of the fourth generation, was born March 1, 1709, and died in 1785. He lived on Daniel Street. Mark Hunking Wentworth, of the seventh generation, was born in 1813 and died in 1902. He lived on Pleasant Street, in the Captain Thompson house. It is something remarkable that all of the above-named houses arc yet standing except that of Mark Hunking Wentworth on Daniel Street, which was removed to give place to the High School Building. SOUTH MILL AND BRIDGE. The town granted to the first John Pickering, in l(5. rs, this mill privilege, on condition that he should keep in repair, a bridge over the dam, for foot passengers going to church. When first built, the bridge was but six feet wide. The mills were built at the same time by Mr. Pickering, who came here from Massachusetts in 1(53(5, and previously from England. The mill property remained, until 1790, inthe family. In 1881 the city bought the old mill and privilege; the mill being taken down and a store built on the site. (For old meetinghouse see churches. ) CAPTAIN TITUS SALTER HOUSE. This fine gambrel-roof dwelling is situated southeast of the South Mill-dam, on the north side of SuIter Street. It was built by Captain Titus Salter about 174, and, as he was married that year to Elizabeth Biekford, it is likely they moved into the new house at that time. It had extensive grounds and wharves, where vessels formerly discharged and loaded their cargoes. The little gambrel-roof house on the opposite side of the street was built by him at the same time for his servants (probably slaves). Captain Titus Salter . . . This item ships from La Vergne,TN. Paperback. Bookseller Inventory # 9781231210949

More Information About This Seller | Ask Bookseller a Question

Buy New
US$ 27.74
Convert Currency

Add to Basket

Shipping: FREE
Within U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speeds