Annual Reports to the Secretary of War: 1893, 1894, 1895, 1896, 1897, 1898, 1899 (Classic Reprint)

0 avg rating
( 0 ratings by Goodreads )
 
9781331826484: Annual Reports to the Secretary of War: 1893, 1894, 1895, 1896, 1897, 1898, 1899 (Classic Reprint)

Excerpt from Annual Reports to the Secretary of War: 1893, 1894, 1895, 1896, 1897, 1898, 1899

Sir: The commission was appointed May 25, 1893, by Secretary of War Daniel S. Lament, and consisted of Lieut. Col. John P. Nicholson, John B. Bachelder, esq., and Brig. Gen. W. H. Forney.

The letter of instruction for the guidance of the commission was dated May 29, 1803, and the board assembled for organization May 31, 1893. Present, Colonel Nicholson and Mr. Bachelder. General Forney absent, detained by sickness at his home.

Upon organization the commission found important lines of battle occupied by an electric railway, the construction of which had begun early in April, 1893. After inspecting the road and the land over which it was constructed, on July 1 the full board assembled and selected Col. E. B. Cope as topographical engineer. He was appointed and the assistants selected, a room for the commission rented at Gettysburg, and the survey of the field was at once commenced and has been daily continued.

The first work was to establish a meridian, which in all the surveys since the war had never been done. The datum point of reference was the center of the square in the town of Gettysburg, and a meridian line was established on the high ground of the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association, near Hancock avenue.

The north point of this line is near the monument of the One hundred and twenty-sixth New York Infantry, and the south point near the line of the Benner property. The line was subsequently extended south to the Tenth New York Infantry Monument.

The location of the town of Gettysburg, geographically, has been determined to be latitude 39º 49' 15" and longitude from Washington 0º 14' 0" west; the altitude above tide water at the Center Square, 550 feet.

Using this meridian as a base of operations, there has been run many miles of back-sight transit lines on various parts of the field.

The commissioners completed the examination of the Seminary Ridge line on August 3, from the Blocher property, on the Hagerstown road, south to and beyond the McMillan Woods, and decided to survey a preliminary line at once. The line begins at the Blocher Building and runs south to the Emmitsburg road at the James Felix property and traverses the line that was taken up and occupied by the Confederate army during the greater part of the second and third days' battle and affords a view of the entire line from the cemetery to Round Top. It has since been surveyed and extended to the Ridge road, 4,500 feet south.

About the Publisher

Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com

This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.

"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.

Buy New View Book
List Price: US$ 7.97
US$ 15.94

Convert Currency

Shipping: FREE
From United Kingdom to U.S.A.

Destination, Rates & Speeds

Add to Basket

Top Search Results from the AbeBooks Marketplace

1.

Gettysburg National Military Commission
Published by Forgotten Books, United States (2015)
ISBN 10: 1331826489 ISBN 13: 9781331826484
New Paperback Quantity Available: 10
Print on Demand
Seller:
The Book Depository US
(London, United Kingdom)
Rating
[?]

Book Description Forgotten Books, United States, 2015. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Language: English . Brand New Book ***** Print on Demand *****. Excerpt from Annual Reports to the Secretary of War: 1893, 1894, 1895, 1896, 1897, 1898, 1899 Sir: The commission was appointed May 25, 1893, by Secretary of War Daniel S. Lament, and consisted of Lieut. Col. John P. Nicholson, John B. Bachelder, esq., and Brig. Gen. W. H. Forney. The letter of instruction for the guidance of the commission was dated May 29, 1803, and the board assembled for organization May 31, 1893. Present, Colonel Nicholson and Mr. Bachelder. General Forney absent, detained by sickness at his home. Upon organization the commission found important lines of battle occupied by an electric railway, the construction of which had begun early in April, 1893. After inspecting the road and the land over which it was constructed, on July 1 the full board assembled and selected Col. E. B. Cope as topographical engineer. He was appointed and the assistants selected, a room for the commission rented at Gettysburg, and the survey of the field was at once commenced and has been daily continued. The first work was to establish a meridian, which in all the surveys since the war had never been done. The datum point of reference was the center of the square in the town of Gettysburg, and a meridian line was established on the high ground of the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association, near Hancock avenue. The north point of this line is near the monument of the One hundred and twenty-sixth New York Infantry, and the south point near the line of the Benner property. The line was subsequently extended south to the Tenth New York Infantry Monument. The location of the town of Gettysburg, geographically, has been determined to be latitude 39 49 15 and longitude from Washington 0 14 0 west; the altitude above tide water at the Center Square, 550 feet. Using this meridian as a base of operations, there has been run many miles of back-sight transit lines on various parts of the field. The commissioners completed the examination of the Seminary Ridge line on August 3, from the Blocher property, on the Hagerstown road, south to and beyond the McMillan Woods, and decided to survey a preliminary line at once. The line begins at the Blocher Building and runs south to the Emmitsburg road at the James Felix property and traverses the line that was taken up and occupied by the Confederate army during the greater part of the second and third days battle and affords a view of the entire line from the cemetery to Round Top. It has since been surveyed and extended to the Ridge road, 4,500 feet south. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works. Bookseller Inventory # APC9781331826484

More Information About This Seller | Ask Bookseller a Question

Buy New
US$ 15.94
Convert Currency

Add to Basket

Shipping: FREE
From United Kingdom to U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speeds

2.

Gettysburg National Military Commission
Published by Forgotten Books, United States (2015)
ISBN 10: 1331826489 ISBN 13: 9781331826484
New Paperback Quantity Available: 10
Print on Demand
Seller:
The Book Depository
(London, United Kingdom)
Rating
[?]

Book Description Forgotten Books, United States, 2015. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Language: English . Brand New Book ***** Print on Demand *****.Excerpt from Annual Reports to the Secretary of War: 1893, 1894, 1895, 1896, 1897, 1898, 1899 Sir: The commission was appointed May 25, 1893, by Secretary of War Daniel S. Lament, and consisted of Lieut. Col. John P. Nicholson, John B. Bachelder, esq., and Brig. Gen. W. H. Forney. The letter of instruction for the guidance of the commission was dated May 29, 1803, and the board assembled for organization May 31, 1893. Present, Colonel Nicholson and Mr. Bachelder. General Forney absent, detained by sickness at his home. Upon organization the commission found important lines of battle occupied by an electric railway, the construction of which had begun early in April, 1893. After inspecting the road and the land over which it was constructed, on July 1 the full board assembled and selected Col. E. B. Cope as topographical engineer. He was appointed and the assistants selected, a room for the commission rented at Gettysburg, and the survey of the field was at once commenced and has been daily continued. The first work was to establish a meridian, which in all the surveys since the war had never been done. The datum point of reference was the center of the square in the town of Gettysburg, and a meridian line was established on the high ground of the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association, near Hancock avenue. The north point of this line is near the monument of the One hundred and twenty-sixth New York Infantry, and the south point near the line of the Benner property. The line was subsequently extended south to the Tenth New York Infantry Monument. The location of the town of Gettysburg, geographically, has been determined to be latitude 39 49 15 and longitude from Washington 0 14 0 west; the altitude above tide water at the Center Square, 550 feet. Using this meridian as a base of operations, there has been run many miles of back-sight transit lines on various parts of the field. The commissioners completed the examination of the Seminary Ridge line on August 3, from the Blocher property, on the Hagerstown road, south to and beyond the McMillan Woods, and decided to survey a preliminary line at once. The line begins at the Blocher Building and runs south to the Emmitsburg road at the James Felix property and traverses the line that was taken up and occupied by the Confederate army during the greater part of the second and third days battle and affords a view of the entire line from the cemetery to Round Top. It has since been surveyed and extended to the Ridge road, 4,500 feet south. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works. Bookseller Inventory # APC9781331826484

More Information About This Seller | Ask Bookseller a Question

Buy New
US$ 16.46
Convert Currency

Add to Basket

Shipping: FREE
From United Kingdom to U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speeds

3.

Gettysburg National Military Commission
Published by Forgotten Books (2015)
ISBN 10: 1331826489 ISBN 13: 9781331826484
New Softcover Quantity Available: 15
Print on Demand
Seller:
Rating
[?]

Book Description Forgotten Books, 2015. Book Condition: New. This item is printed on demand for shipment within 3 working days. Bookseller Inventory # LP9781331826484

More Information About This Seller | Ask Bookseller a Question

Buy New
US$ 14.86
Convert Currency

Add to Basket

Shipping: US$ 3.51
From Germany to U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speeds

4.

Gettysburg National Military Commission
Published by Forgotten Books, United States (2015)
ISBN 10: 1331826489 ISBN 13: 9781331826484
New Paperback Quantity Available: 10
Seller:
Book Depository hard to find
(London, United Kingdom)
Rating
[?]

Book Description Forgotten Books, United States, 2015. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Language: English . This book usually ship within 10-15 business days and we will endeavor to dispatch orders quicker than this where possible. Brand New Book. Excerpt from Annual Reports to the Secretary of War: 1893, 1894, 1895, 1896, 1897, 1898, 1899 Sir: The commission was appointed May 25, 1893, by Secretary of War Daniel S. Lament, and consisted of Lieut. Col. John P. Nicholson, John B. Bachelder, esq., and Brig. Gen. W. H. Forney. The letter of instruction for the guidance of the commission was dated May 29, 1803, and the board assembled for organization May 31, 1893. Present, Colonel Nicholson and Mr. Bachelder. General Forney absent, detained by sickness at his home. Upon organization the commission found important lines of battle occupied by an electric railway, the construction of which had begun early in April, 1893. After inspecting the road and the land over which it was constructed, on July 1 the full board assembled and selected Col. E. B. Cope as topographical engineer. He was appointed and the assistants selected, a room for the commission rented at Gettysburg, and the survey of the field was at once commenced and has been daily continued. The first work was to establish a meridian, which in all the surveys since the war had never been done. The datum point of reference was the center of the square in the town of Gettysburg, and a meridian line was established on the high ground of the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association, near Hancock avenue. The north point of this line is near the monument of the One hundred and twenty-sixth New York Infantry, and the south point near the line of the Benner property. The line was subsequently extended south to the Tenth New York Infantry Monument. The location of the town of Gettysburg, geographically, has been determined to be latitude 39 49 15 and longitude from Washington 0 14 0 west; the altitude above tide water at the Center Square, 550 feet. Using this meridian as a base of operations, there has been run many miles of back-sight transit lines on various parts of the field. The commissioners completed the examination of the Seminary Ridge line on August 3, from the Blocher property, on the Hagerstown road, south to and beyond the McMillan Woods, and decided to survey a preliminary line at once. The line begins at the Blocher Building and runs south to the Emmitsburg road at the James Felix property and traverses the line that was taken up and occupied by the Confederate army during the greater part of the second and third days battle and affords a view of the entire line from the cemetery to Round Top. It has since been surveyed and extended to the Ridge road, 4,500 feet south. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works. Bookseller Inventory # LIE9781331826484

More Information About This Seller | Ask Bookseller a Question

Buy New
US$ 18.97
Convert Currency

Add to Basket

Shipping: FREE
From United Kingdom to U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speeds