This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Essentials of Ecology presents introductory ecology in an accessible, state-of-the-art format designed to cultivate the novice student's understanding of, and fascination with, the natural world. In a concise, engaging style, this text outlines the essential principles of ecology from the theoretical fundamentals to their practical applications. Full color artwork, simple pedagogical features and a wide range of timely examples make this book an ideal introduction to ecology for students at all levels.
The second edition of this successful text provides expanded coverage and over 400 references including 100 new examples reflecting the vibrancy of the field. More than a simple update, the new edition also features new artwork http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/townsend/Images.htm, an enhanced design, and additional integrated applications to make Essentials of Ecology up-to-date and relevant.
Outstanding features of the second edition of Essentials of Ecology include:
* Dedicated website - study resources and web research questions provide students and instructors with an enhanced, interactive experience of the book www.blackwellpublishing.com/townsend
* Key Concepts - summarized at the beginning of each chapter
* Unanswered questions - highlighted throughout, emphasizing that in ecology, as in any science, we have much left to learn
* History boxes - outlining key landmarks in the development of ecology
* Quantitative boxes - allowing mathematical aspects of ecology to be explained thoroughly without interrupting the flow of the text
* Topical ECOncerns boxes - highlighting ethical, social and political questions in ecology
* Review questions - included at the end of each chapter
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Colin R. Townsend is the Director of the Ecology, Conservation and Biodiversity Research Group at the University of Otago. He has published over 150 ecology papers and books, including the best-selling and award-winning Ecology, 4th Edition, with co-authors Michael Begon and John L. Harper. He is also co-editor of the international journal Freshwater Biology.
Michael Begon is Professor of Ecology in the School of Biological Sciences at the University of Liverpool. He has authored several books in addition to Ecology and around 150 research articles. His current research interests are focused on the population ecology of pathogens in wildlife populations.
John L. Harper is an award-winning biologist and a leading figure in plant population biology. He has served as a council member of the Fellowship of the Royal Society and received the Darwin Arward in 1990. He is also the author of Population Biology of Plants and a co-author of Ecology.Review:
"In a concise, engaging style, this book contains the essential principles of ecology from theoretical to their practical applications." (Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, July/August 2008)
"The new edition also features new artwork and an enhanced design, making Essentials of Ecology as attractive as it is up-to-date and relevant." (Biotechnologie, Agronomie Societe et Environment)
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Wiley-Blackwell, 2002. Paperback. Condition: New. 2. Seller Inventory # DADAX1405103280
Book Description Wiley-Blackwell, 2002. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M1405103280