Building a Medical Vocabulary: with Spanish Translations, 7e (Leonard, Building a Medical Vocabulary)
Build the medical vocabulary skills you need for success in health care with this engaging resource. With an active learning approach ideal for use in the classroom or for self-study, this comprehensive, yet approachable, text establishes basic terms and progressively introduces new root words, prefixes, and suffixes with a unique building-block format that encourages you to learn as you write and speak new terms. Concepts are presented in small, manageable segments accompanied by chapter exercises and review questions that help you understand medical terms and ensure effective communication in the health care field.
- A programmed approach to terminology introduces you to medical vocabulary through engaging activities and exercises and helps you immediately recognize and review difficult concepts.
- Thorough explanations illustrate how terms relate to each other in the context of medical settings and help you retain knowledge.
- A conversational writing style makes difficult concepts easier to grasp.
- Consistently organized chapters categorize and simplify terminology.
- A bookmark pronunciation guide provides quick reference to proper pronunciation.
- Caution boxes alert you to important distinctions between similar terms.
- Function First sections detail the physiology of each system and validate appropriate terms.
- A variety of exercises and learning methods throughout each chapter make it easier for you to memorize and retain medical language.
- Pharmacology content introduces you to key drug classes each body system.
- End-of-chapter reviews help you assess your progress and identify learning weaknesses.
- A comprehensive review chapter prepares you for your final examination.
- A combined glossary/index makes it easy to find detailed information on a given term or topic.
- A companion CD helps you reinforce and review what you’ve learned through sound files, interactive games, and more.
- Evolve Resources make studying fun and effective with helpful tips, electronic flashcards, and learning games.
- An updated design enhances navigation and provides more room for writing answers.
- New medical reports present terms within the context of actual case histories and illustrate their proper use in the clinical environment.
- Word-building and word-analysis exercises help you learn to decipher unfamiliar terms when encountered in practice.
- Key Points boxes highlight essential concepts for more efficient learning.
- New line drawings and photographs support terminology presentations and strengthen your understanding.
- An emphasis on the medical process helps you understand terminology in relation to your responsibilities in patient presentation, diagnostics, and care.
- A Spanish usage guide equips you for interaction with Spanish-speaking patients in the health care setting.
- A Genetics appendix familiarizes you with common terms and recent developments in genetics and the Human Genome Project.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Provides the building blocks for effective communication in the health care environment
About the Author
Peggy Leonard, BA, MT, MED, Ballwin, MO
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.