Modern Dental Assisting, 10e
Prepare for a successful career as a dental assistant! Modern Dental Assisting is the leading text in dental assisting -- the most trusted, the most comprehensive, and the most current. Using an easy-to-understand approach, this resource offers a complete foundation in the basic and advanced clinical skills you must master to achieve clinical competency. It describes dental assisting procedures with photographs and clear, step-by-step instructions. Along with the textbook, this complete learning package includes a companion Evolve website replete with learning exercises and games and a DVD with video clips of dental assisting procedures plus animations and review questions. Written by Doni Bird and Debbie Robinson, two well-known and well-respected dental assisting educators, this edition is also available as a Pageburst e-book.
- Comprehensive coverage makes this your single, start-to-finish source for dental assisting training.
- A highly approachable writing style presents the latest information and procedures in a way that makes it easy to understand and apply the material.
- Concise chapters presented within short parts move from profession basics and sciences to infection control, safety, clinical dentistry, radiography, materials, specialty dental practice, and dental office administration.
- Superb, full-color illustrations and photographs show procedures, equipment, and instruments.
- Illustrated, step-by-step procedures show the skills that dental assistants must master, detailing for each the goal, equipment and supplies needed, chronological steps, and rationales.
- Expanded Functions procedures boxes describe special dental assisting procedures allowed only in certain states.
- Procedure icons alert you to issues relating to core procedures, e.g., that you should make notes in the patient's record, don personal protective equipment, or watch for moisture contamination.
- Key terms are accompanied by phonetic pronunciations, highlighted within the text, and defined in boxes on the same or facing page.
- Critical thinking questions end each chapter with mini-case scenarios and application-style questions.
- Learning and performance outcomes in each chapter set goals for what you will accomplish and also serve as checkpoints for comprehension, skills mastery, and study tools for exam preparation.
- Summary tables and boxes make it easy to review key concepts and procedures.
- Recall boxes appear after sections of text and include questions to ensure that you understand the material.
- CDC boxes cite the latest recommendations for infection control and summarize regulations.
- Eye to the Future boxes introduce cutting-edge research, future trends, and topics.
- Legal and Ethical Implications boxes focus on the behaviors that you will need to practice to protect yourself, your patients, and the practice for which you work.
- Patient Education boxes summarize content within the context of patient education take-away points.
- A glossary provides a quick and handy way to look up terminology, with chapter references indicating where terms are introduced and discussed within chapters.
- Interactive Dental Office program on the companion Evolve website provides 25 case studies with integrated radiographic mounting and dental charting exercises to help you problem-solve your way through a wide variety of dental conditions and procedures; games help you review and study in the areas of pathology, radiation safety, business office activities, workplace safety, oral anatomy, and dental instruments.
- Canadian Content Corner on the Evolve site highlights Canadian-specific dental information.
- A student workbook corresponds to the textbook and offers review and practice of essential tasks that dental assistants perform every day, plus competency skill sheets and detachable flashcards for on-the-go review. Sold separately.
- NEW content includes areas such as digital imaging, implant dentistry, sleep dentistry, dental materials, the electronic patient record, HIPAA laws and implications, stem cell research, and caries prevention.
- Expanded information about working with special needs and medically compromised patients includes eating disorders, bipolar disorder, substance abuse, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- NEW procedures include taking a patient's oximetry and ECG, applying fluoride varnish, using the caries detection device, and performing extraoral and intraoral photography, in addition to several new radiographic procedures.
- NEW photos show current products and equipment.
- Procedure exercises on Evolve offer practice in correctly ordering the steps in each procedure.
- A companion DVD features more than 70 video clips of dental assisting procedures plus animations and review questions, including two new clips: Assisting in a Class II Amalgam Restoration, and Positioning the High-Volume Evacuator During a Procedure.
- Online practice CDA examination mimics the style of the CDA exam with 250 multiple-choice questions with answers, rationales, and chapter references to help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and prepare for the exam.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.